Questions for July and August 2014 Patients

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Questions for July and August 2014 Patients

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    klove
    Participant

I just want to post an update since Dr. Pacik felt this was important. This morning I was feeling discouraged that I was not able to get size 6 in at the office for day 2. So I thought I had slept with size 4. Come to find out, I had worn size 5 after I left the office and slept with size 5 all night. It even fell out and I had to put it back in by myself! I was able to handle it for over 12 hours and I had just gotten my procedure done yesterday and the Botox hasn’t even kicked in. I’m still processing the experience I just went through with Dr. Pacik and his team. I’m sure once I realize what I accomplished I will break down in tears. I hope this helps ladies that are still anxious about having the procedure done.

Heather34
    Participant

So, so happy for you Katie!!!!! Sending you huge hugs!!!!

galaxygal
    Participant

klove, that is amazing!! 🙂

jessbee
    Participant

as august 11th gets closer…i am becoming more excited and anxious to get this done. one question that has been lingering in my mind at the wee hours of the morning..is it necessary to get a heart exam to see if you are healthy enough to get this procedure done? I have already had blood work and physical done..everything was fine except for my thyroid. I worry about this because when my grandmother was administered anesthesia for a simple procedure she went into cardiac arrest. They said her heart was not healthy enough to take so much. She was very old and sick. I am fairly healthy and still fairly young.

jessbee
    Participant

also, is there anyone on here who is having their procedure on aug 11?

23years
    Participant

I had my procedure June 30th and because of some prescription med, I had an abnormal EKG and my heart rate was too high! Luckily I have an awesome and caring PCP who allowed me to come off the med and stabalize my heart rate, etc. Remember, anxiety (and who wouldn’t have THAT with all we go through?) can cause a high heart rate.

However my understanding from Dr P (I don’t want to speak for him) was that he can do the procedure in many ways and its low risk.

As for the anesthesiologist that was on the day I went, I affectionately call the gymnast, he was very very astute! I told him I had a reaction to a medication that normally is used for asthmatics (I’m not asthmatic just had a bad bronchial infection at the time) and he quickly questioned me about asthma. So he was professional and did his job! He was very very good!

I think you won’t have to worry about this but it’s something you could talk to Dr P about for sure.

Everyone gets anxious but we all could tell you that it’s more the fear of the unknown and “what ifs” rather than the reality and you will see this too once you “cross that bridge”!!

And you will be very grateful you did!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I can’t believe I am writing this but I had the procedure done 2 days ago (July 21) and I am miles ahead of where I was pre-procedure! Dr. Pacik and his staff were absolutely AMAZING to work with! His office has been such a blessing me to me and my husband.

On the morning of the procedure, the minute I walked into Dr. Pacik’s office, I felt cared for. The nurses, anesthesiologist, and Dr. Pacik all took time to speak with me and my husband to explain what exactly was going to happen. They let me cry and said nothing but encouraging words. Before I knew it, I was done and woke up with Big Blue in and didn’t even realize it (which was a miracle)! My husband later told me everything that happened during the procedure. He said Dr. Pacik involved him by showing him the muscles that were spasming and had him help insert the dilator, which was incredibly helpful for him to see. Although my husband has been very supportive and has researched vaginismus, I think actually seeing my legs thrust together while under sedation showed him just how much I was unable to control myself.

After the procedure, they asked that we try to move around the dilator and take it out and put it back in. Before the procedure, on a scale from 1 to 10, my anxiety and pain would have been an 11. Post-procedure, I would rate my anxiety and pain as a 2 and 3. It was like something just clicked inside me once I realized that I could do this pain-free for literally the first time in my life. Dr. Pacik later sent us home with instructions to sleep with the dilator #4 in. It took a little getting used to, but the discomfort was minimal. We returned to the office the next morning and immediately took out #4 and put in #5. No problem! I was even able to insert #6, which I still can’t believe. I could only keep #6 in for a short period of time, but that itself is another miracle.

The remainder of the day was spent in counseling with Dr. Pacik. He walked us through the dilator schedule, how to transition to intercourse, lubes, intimacy, etc. I so much appreciated that he took time to educate us. I left the office feeling confident that I knew how to care for myself.

If I could offer an advice to future patients, it would be to get to know the other girls getting the procedure done the same day. I texted back and forth with another patient the night after the procedure. It was nice to talk to someone who was experiencing the same thing. Also, I would recommend getting the glass dilators. They are designed to fit without sticking out and therefore, stay in easier. In addition, I think they are more comfortable. Lastly, BE PROUD OF YOURSELF. This is such a huge thing to overcome! I feel stronger for having gone through this and feel confident that one day I’ll be able to consummate my marriage.

Thank you to Dr. Pacik and his staff for doing what you do! After years of being told that “I just need to relax” and “work harder” to overcome this, your validation and support has meant the world to me. Keep doing what you’re doing!

Natalie

Heather34
    Participant

This is so, so, so, so wonderful Natalie! Huge CONGRATS!!!! :):):):)

23years
    Participant

HUGE ACCOMPLISHMENT!!

Congrats Natalie!!

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

The only family history I would worry about is if a family member developed a high fever during anesthesia (malignant hyperthermia) but this is very rare. I am not concerned about heart disease because treatment is non-invasive and done with a light anesthetic. I do not require medical clearance or any lab work before treatment because of the benign nature of the treatment. Hope this helps.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Natalie-it was a joy working with you. I have no doubt you will realize your goals. I look forward to your future posts.

jessbee
    Participant

Thank you, Dr. Pacik for easing my worries. Now, can someone give me examples of what you wore to your procedure and the follow up days, please?

klove
    Participant

Hi Jessbess,

I wore Capri jeans with underwear and boy shorts. That’s all you should need.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

The vagina tends to push the dilator out, this is why tight shorts are needed. Regular panties are inadequate for this.
    I also recommend a bathing suit bottom to wear when showering so the dilator does not fall out. Patients are discharged on the day of treatment with a medium #4 dilator and are asked to maintain this and sleep with it.

Becca
    Participant

Jessbee — I wore snug yoga pants to the office for the procedure. I also got some spanx types shorts to wear over my underwear (under my pants) for those days, and I still wear those same spanx shorts when I sleep in my dilators at night. It really does help just to have something snug. Also, I used long pads to help “hold” the dilator in, in my underwear, plus the pads are good because sometimes I use too much lube and so the lube just gets on my pad instead of my underwear. 🙂

I’m so excited for you to have your procedure so soon!! 🙂 You will be amazed at how everything is so different almost instantly post procedure. I will say one thing, don’t get discouraged if you can’t move as fast with dilators the next day post procedure. I remember I was so frustrated and discouraged because I had a hard time getting #5 in the day after my procedure, but that doesn’t mean anything. Sometimes you just gotta give your body some time to adjust, and to let the botox fully kick in. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.