Questions for January and February 2014 Patients

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Questions for January and February 2014 Patients

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. For those of you who have your procedure coming up in January and February of the new year, please feel free to ask any questions at all that you may have pre-procedure. It can be anything at all from what it is like to do the dilating to what fun things there are to do in New Hampshire, Boston, and the whole New England area while you are here. I live right outside of Boston and would be happy to share. I look forward to reading your posts.

haley.rid
    Participant

My appointment is Jan 20th, and my husband and I will be in NH that whole weekend for our first anniversary (Jan 18!). Any fun/romantic date ideas? Events going on that weekend? We’re renting a car, so transportation won’t be an issue.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Haley. I found some fun ideas around NH and MA and wanted to share:

NH

Painting, Wine & Beer, and Good Times!
    Event Fee: 39
    Description:
    Try out Muse Paintbar, a combination between a painting instruction studio and beer & wine bar in downtown Manchester. You’ll leave with a painting that our instructor will walk you through step-by-step. And we have 10 beers & 12 wines to help bring out that inner Muse! Absolutely no experience needed. You can reserve at the link here or give us a call.
    42 Hanover St.
    Manchester, NH 03101
    Phone: 603-421-6500
    Email: manchester@musepaintbar.com
    Website: https://events.musepaintbar.com/index.php/welcome/edit/1117

Starry Nights at Sunnyside Timberlodge 1/18/2014
    (5:30PM)

Event Fee: $100pp all-inclusive plus tax.

Description:
    Join us for our Starry Nights Celebration! Starry Nights offers gourmet dining to an acoustic beat while nestled mountainside around a fire inside the Sunnyside Timberlodge. Guests will enjoy the stars as they ride up the Valley Run Quad then ski or ride to the Sunnyside Timberlodge along a torch lit trail. Upon arrival at the lodge, trade out ski and snowboard boots for cozy souvenir socks and warm-up fireside with appetizers, wine and beer while chatting with friends and listening to a local musician. Then take in a gourmet meal of herb-crusted tenderloin, lobster ravioli and cumin dusted swordfish served along sides of oven roasted vegetables and seafood pasta. The night will culminate with a Torchlight Parade by skiing or riding down the Valley Run trail under the stars. The event is all-inclusive; beer, wine and meal, and tickets are $100 plus tax per person. This event is open to ages 16+. Space is limited and reservations are required by calling Therese at 603-236-8311 ext. 3000 or 1-800-468-2553. Additional dates for Starry Nights are January 18, 2014 and February 22, 2014. Season Passholders receive a 10% discount! Guests should meet on the second floor of the base lodge at 5:30p.m. The lift will run until 6p.m. Please dress warmly, including ski or snowboard boots. All guests will be given complimentary socks upon arrival to Sunnyside Timberlodge.

1 Ski Area Road
    Waterville Valley, NH 03215

Phone: 603-236-8311
    Email: kchaon@waterville.com
    Website: http://www.waterville.com/events-deals-apres/event-calendar.html?id=5883

Moonlit Snowshoe Tours
    1/18/2014
    (7:00PM)

Event Fee: $12 per person over 12, or $35 per family of four $10 snowshoe rentals

Description:
    Experience the wonder of a winter walk on the moonlit snow. Join an AMC Naturalist Guide (Tin Mountain Naturalist on Feb 22) on a guided full moon snowshoe walk. We will use our senses (and no flashlights) to navigate the trails. We will listen for owls calling and explore out senses as we explore the winter landscape by light of the full moon. Reservations required Note the last tour in March is from 7:30-9:00

1 Mount Washington Auto Road
    Gorham, NH 03581

Phone: 603-466-3988
    Email: kim@mt-washington.com
    Website: http://greatglentrails.com/winter/family-programs/moonlit-snowshoe-tours/

Marc Cohn
    1/18/2014
    (7:30PM)

Event Fee: Tickets start at $39

Description:
    A Grammy Award winning singer-songwriter, Marc Cohn is a natural storyteller whose soulful voice balances the exuberant with the poignant. He has a unique ability to write songs that touch people’s lives and communicate the stories with the passion of a great soul man. Primarily known for his critically-acclaimed, self-titled debut album released in 1990, with the break-out hit of “Walking in Memphis,” his songs like “Silver Thunderbird” and “True Companion” tell stories that have touched millions. Early in Marc Cohn’s life, he was exposed to Bacharach, The Beatles, Ray Charles, and Motown, and as a teenager, he realized how popular music could communicate so many life lessons of romance, sadness, and joy. In his own words, he says, “By the time I was eleven though, the Beatles were breaking up and singer-songwriters were breaking through, and a lot of that music really resonated for me.” His latest release Listening Booth: 1970 applies his unique, soulful sound to songs by artists who shaped him as a musician, like John Lennon, The Grateful Dead, Van Morrison, Paul McCartney, and Credence Clearwater Revival. When covering these vintage songs, he finds the emotional essence and brilliantly reshapes it to create his own singular sound.

39 South Main Street
    Plymouth, NH 03264
    Phone: 603-536-2551
    Website: http://www.flyingmonkeynh.com/event-detail/marc-cohn/2014-01-18/

Romantic Restaurants

The Wellington Room
    Located in Portsmouth along the Piscataqua River, The Wellington Room offers waterfront views from every table. Voted by Taste magazine as the Best Restaurant View in 2009 and 2010, this establishment is popular for its cozy, intimate setting and warm atmosphere. Open Wednesday through Sunday, serving dinner only, patrons enjoy choosing between soups, salads and appetizers for starter plates. Seafood, steak, poultry and vegetable dishes are offered as entree options. Items are American continental cuisine with a Thai influence. Save room for dessert for chocolate mousse, cheesecake or creme brulee. Sit and enjoy your partner’s company over an after-dinner drink or take a stroll along the water to cap off your night.

The Wellington Room
    67 Bow St.
    Second Floor
    Portsmouth, NH 03801
    603-431-2989
    thewellingtonroom.com

Surf Restaurant
    Open for dinner six nights a week and located in Nashua, Surf Restaurant specializes in everything seafood. This establishment offers an open floor plan dining space with a substantial amount of natural light that colors through the windows at sunset. New Hampshire magazine has also honored Surf with numerous “Best of” awards dating back to 2003. Candles sit on all tables in quaint lanterns and private space is offered between tables. Staff is attentive but not intrusive, making quiet conversation enjoyable and fluid. Several salad, appetizer and soup options are available and entrees cover various types of fish, lobster, seafood stew, steak, poultry and surf and turf. A raw bar is also available as well as a full specialty cocktail list.

Surf Restaurant
    207 Main Street
    Nashua, NH 03060
    603-595-9293
    surfseafood.com

Bedford Village Inn
    Bedford Village Inn is situated amidst lush richly covered mountains in the Bedford countryside of New Hampshire. Arrive early and enjoy a leisurely stroll across the property’s vast lawns and pathways. The dining room offers thick, plush armchairs, lavish deep-toned colored walls and dark wood trim and tables. Select a table next to the fireplace or make a reservation to dine upstairs in the private nook. Cream colored walls, soft lighting, and courteous, knowledgeable tablecloth service from the staff round out the highlights of this establishment. Menus offer an impressive selection of cheese plates, salads, soups and appetizers as well as entrees that cover various steak, poultry and vegetable options. A tasting menu is also optional and a Sommelier is available for all wine questions.

Bedford Village Inn
    2 Olde Bedford Way
    Bedford, NH 03110
    603-472-2001
    bedfordvillageinn.com

MASSACHUSETTS

Ice Skating at Boston Common Frog Pond. Opening in mid-November, the Frog Pond is a great place to bring a date. The Frog Pond features concessions, skate rentals, rest rooms, and a warming area. Enjoy the crisp, cool winter air while getting to know each other better. Then, warm up by sitting close and sharing some hot chocolate.

Horse Drawn Carriage Ride. Romantic horse drawn carriages are available in and around historic Faneuil Hall and the cobblestone streets of Boston by the Elegant Touch Carriage Co. Blankets are provided to keep warm during the ride. One hour rides with 24 hour advance notice reservations include a bottle of Champagne soda, glasses, and one long stem red rose. This is the perfect winter date.

Once
    Saturday, Jan 18, 2014 2:00p
    Boston Opera House Boston, MA
    Winner of eight 2012 Tony Awards including Best Musical and winner of the 2013 Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album, ONCE is a truly original Broadway experience. ONCE tells the enchanting tale of a Dublin street musician who’s about to give up on his dream when a beautiful young woman takes a sudden interest in his haunting love songs. It’s an unforgettable story about going for your dreams, not living in fear, and the power of music to connect us all.

haley.rid
    Participant

Thanks for all the great options Heather! It’s coming up so soon!

Bethany
    Participant

Hello!

I have my procedure coming up on Monday!! January 13th!
    Wow! Cannot believe how this has all fallen in to place and happened so quickly.

Any other patients scheduled for the 13th? I would love to connect a bit before Monday.

Started panicking about dilating a little bit last night. But, had to remind myself that it will not be like my dilating in the past. The pain will not be severe and I just need to take it one day at a time. 🙂

I think I will be using this forum more post-procedure, for tips and advice.

One of my biggest fears is transitioning from dilating to intercourse. My husband and I have been together for 10 years and never had sex! How do we all of sudden start having sex?! Kind of scares me emotionally… I am just praying that God will be preparing my heart and my emotions for this BIG change.

Okay…have to run now! Off to one of my many jobs!

Thanks everyone!

Bethany

Nicole
    Participant

Congratulations Haley and Bethany! I know how scary the anticipation can be. I was incredibly nervous, but it’s been 2 months since I’ve had the procedure and I can say that it’s been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made and I’m SO glad that I went through with it!

Bethany – I also shared your fear of transitioning from dilating to intercourse. I remember feeling terrified that all of the negative emotions I associated with sex would prohibit me from ever making the transition from dilating to intercourse. I had so many walls (emotional and physical) built up to protect myself that seemed impossible to just put behind me. I can say from experience, though, that in less than two months, I was able to make the transition to intercourse and maybe even kind of enjoy it?!? It still seems crazy to say that because I think I just always assumed sex would never be enjoyable (or anything other than painful), but as I’ve dilated and stretched and made my husband a part of the process, my fears have started to fade away and I’ve gained confidence in my body and in my relationship with my husband. It’s a slow process and I’m still apprehensive of intercourse, but I just wanted to let you know I was exactly in your shoes just 2 months ago and am in disbelief at where I am now!

Good luck to both of you on your upcoming procedures! I can’t wait to hear of your progress and success 🙂

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Haley and Bethany, just wanted to say hi and that I’m so excited that you are having the procedure. Please know that we are all for you. :0)

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Haley and Bethany! I am so, so excited for you and your upcoming procedure. I just know everything is going to go so very well for you and your husband.

Concerning your first fear about the dilators, I shared this very same fear pre-procedure as so many of us have. Please know you are not alone with this at all. I never ever ever ever thought I would be able to dilate as I was never even able to insert a q-tip pre-procedure without the burning pain/blocked feeling. Post-procedure and after I woke up with the dilator in place, I was in shock that something was inside of me period and then my hubby and I were both shocked that it didn’t hurt. Thereafter, I was able to insert all of the dilators as well as my husband b/c the resistance (“hitting a wall”) feeling was no longer there as the Botox takes affect and dissipates this. Then, the more and more my muscles stretched with dilation, the better it became. What I thought dilation would be like pre-procedure was nothing at all what it was like post-procedure and it took me actually doing it to believe that I could. I believe 100% that you will have success with dilating and just know you will.

Concerning your second question about transitioning to intercourse, this, too was a huge fear of mine. We went for 11 years pre-procedure with no intercourse. How were we all of a sudden supposed to start having sex? I, again, answered my own question post-procedure by doing it. What helped us the most in transitioning physically was me dilating for a lengthy amount of time in the beginning prior to intercourse. Mentally, what helped the most was involving my husband in all the little things – allowing him to be present with my dilation in NH, letting my guard down and trusting him so much more, communicating about all of the steps taken, and letting go of my need to control the situation (which would go with #2. trust). Becoming comfortable with making love post-procedure took time but was and still is a fun learning process involving finding out what each of us likes, doesn’t like, timing, connecting, and just so much more. One of the biggest things that helped also with the transition was Dr. Pacik covering this in his counseling as well as post-procedure communications and also talking to a counselor post-procedure about all of the emotions, etc. with transitioning.

Ok, sending positive thoughts and hugs to you both and all of the upcoming Jan and Feb patients. I know whole-heartedly how much this procedure changed our lives and I know it will change yours so, so much as well. :):):)

zenely
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’m also having my procedure done on January 20th. It seems so close and unreal. I’m definitely nervous. I’ve gone through numerous treatments over the past 5 years without success, so I’m still hesitant, but this treatment seems very promising. For those who have gone through it already, is there any advice, tips, or tidbits that you wish you’d known beforehand or during the process?

Heather34
    Participant

Congratulations to you Zenely on your upcoming procedure on 1/20 and I just know it will go so, so well and be life-changing for you and your husband in so many ways!!!! I wanted to share a great thread with you that I think will be very helpful:

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=336.1

It includes some helpful tips from treated patients as well as Dr. Pacik and Janet Pacik. Please know that we are all here to support you!!!!

Becca
    Participant

My procedure is scheduled for February 24th, I would love to know if there are any other ladies here scheduled for that day? 🙂

Thanks so much Heather for all of your suggestions of things going on/to do, I have been checking some of them out! 🙂

Janet Pacik
    Participant

I highly recommend that all of our January and February patients read this post from a recent patient who was treated on December 16, 2013. Thank you KarenK for posting. All of our patients touch us deeply and it is what keeps us going as we do realize that we are making a difference in your lives. http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=759

JS622
    Participant

Hi girls! My name is Julie and my procedure date is booked for February 24th and I cannot wait! I am so excited, nervous, relieved all at once. I love that we have this forum to share our experience. Congratulation to you girls for your upcoming date! I thought it would be funny if I could book Valentine’s Day instead(I didn’t) wasn’t available so I could say Happy “V” Day to me haha. It’s going to have a whole new meaning to me. Its definitely time. I wish I could have done it years ago, but it just wasn’t an option at the time. I wish all of you the Best of Luck and will keep you posted through the forum with my progress as well. Have a great day all =)

Doodles
    Participant

I have only lived in Manchester for about six months, but here are a few links to get you started. Also, the Seacoast area is beautiful and if you have a car and the time, then a drive to downtown Portsmouth is probably worth it. As quaint and charming as you can imagine a little New England town to be.

A lovely art museum with a Monet and Van Gogh currently on loan. http://www.currier.org/

Restaurants (most of these and a number of other dining options are on Elm St.)
    Eclectic. Excellent food. Nice date place: http://www.mintbistronh.com/
    Good margaritas and fun atmosphere: http://www.margs.com/
    Very casual gyros: http://thegyrospot.com/
    Our fave pizza in town — delivery or carry-out: http://www.sals-pizza.com/
    Cute cafe with yummy croissants and high-end chocolates: http://dancinglion.us/cacao/
    If you NEED a cupcake: http://www.qccupcakes.com/

Here’s a link from tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g46152-Activities-Manchester_New_Hampshire.html

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Becca and Julie. I think it’s so, so wonderful that you guys have your procedures coming up on 2/24. Please know that it will go so well and please feel free to ask any questions at all that you may have pre-procedure. Doodles, these are awesome ideas of places to try when visiting Manchester. Sending you all hugs this morning. :):):):)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.