Questions for January and February 2014 Patients

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Questions for January and February 2014 Patients

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Becca
    Participant

Julie! I’m looking forward to meeting you! I can’t believe how quickly and how slowly it feels like my procedure date is approaching. I wish it would get here already! I’m wondering if there is anything I need to bring with me (to NH) that I might not think of? Also, the pure romance dilator set everyone talks about, that is included in the procedure, right? Like we will get to keep those? I have seen everyone speaking so highly of the glass dilators, we are planning to purchase those while we are there. Just feeling so anxious and excited!!

Bethany
    Participant

Hello ladies!

Wow! Can’t believe January is over! Where did time go?!

How are all of the other January patients doing?

I am now 18 days post procedure. Things are going well! The first week or so was kind of rocky. I was very emotional and dilating was still pretty painful. I hadn’t expected a cake-walk, but I don’t feel like I was truly prepared for some of the hurdles I experienced. I recall reading about some patients who reported having successful intercourse 7 or so days after their treatment. I suppose I had that in the back of my head, but I shouldn’t have. Everyone has to go at their own pace! I have to keep reminding myself that I am not trying to break any records or anything! Slow and steady wins the race!

Dilating is now much MUCH easier. I have conquered the #5 and am feeling really comfortable with it. I did attempt #6 a few nights ago and encountered some pain, so I pulled back and bit and will return to try it again probably tomorrow.

I must say that I have found that the glass set of dilators are much more comfortable to wear! I would certainly recommend purchasing them! The #4 in the Pure Romance seems to be okay for me to wear comfortably, but the #5 is much too long. That’s where I switch to using the Glass #5. I also purchased one of the Lilo Liv vibrators. That has proved to be very helpful! I feel like it relaxes my muscles when I used it in transition between #4 and #5. I know that these items do cost some extra money, but I feel like if you are already there spending the money for the procedure, these aides are worthwhile.

All I can say, is stick with it! I found myself losing some hope and feeling discouraged during that first week. My emotions seemed to be all over the place, but as I settled into a routine I have found it much easier to handle. During that first week I found myself wondering if dilating would ever get better and it truly does! It does! Don’t despair! 🙂

If you find you will be staying in the area for a couple days, I would also recommend checking out Portsmouth while you are out there and maybe even a drive up to the Nubble Point Lighthouse in York, Maine. It was beautiful up there and the drive gave my husband and I some time to talk and reflect on my condition, treatment and everything it means for our lives. It was also pretty sentimental for us since we actually went to Maine on our honeymoon, which is when we truly discovered my vaginismus. So, kind of weird how it has all come full circle!

Sending love out to all the January patients and upcoming February patients! 🙂

xoxo
    Bethany

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Thanks for the follow up Bethany. It is so important for others to understand that everyone progresses at their own pace. This cannot be rushed. It seems to take longer when there are higher levels of anxiety related to penetration. This also makes transition to intercourse of greater concern. It is true that “slow and steady” wins the race. When patients are a few months post procedure they are usually amazed how easy penetration has gotten.

Janet Pacik
    Participant

Bethany, I also want to thank you for the update. I felt tears of joy reading your post especially the part about the drive up to Nubble Point Lighthouse. It is wonderful that you and your husband were able to connect and heal during your visit. It is always hard to see some of our patients struggle the first week knowing that it will get better for them if they just “keep with the dilating” and not rushing it too much. I am absolutely thrilled that you are doing so well. Please do keep us posted!

Heather34
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Becca on January 30, 2014, 17:07
    I can’t believe how quickly and how slowly it feels like my procedure date is approaching. I wish it would get here already! I’m wondering if there is anything I need to bring with me (to NH) that I might not think of? Also, the pure romance dilator set everyone talks about, that is included in the procedure, right? Like we will get to keep those? I have seen everyone speaking so highly of the glass dilators, we are planning to purchase those while we are there. Just feeling so anxious and excited!!

Hi Becca and Julie as well as all the ladies who will be treated soon. Just wanted to let you all know that we are here for you and that this procedure is going to go so well for all of you and be so life-changing. Becca, it is so very normal to feel a combination of both anxious and also very excited. I, too, felt this prior to my procedure and just wanted the date to come already!!! As far as your questions:

1) Is there anything else I need to bring with me to NH that I might not think of?

Off the top of my head and living about an hour South in Boston, please pack and dress for very cold and snowy weather. We’re having a pretty stormy winter here so far. Second, pack tight fitting panties, spanx, boy-shorts, or something similar that helps so much to keep the glass dilators from slipping out. One girl also suggested using panty liners or pads with wings because of the use of surgi-lube/lidocaine mix. Others have also suggested having Tylenol PM in case of any soreness as well as a travel pillow. This helps while riding in a car while dilating. As far as what to wear in the office, I wore comfortable running pants and many have suggested yoga pants. This is all I can think of for now. Ladies, any additional ideas here?

2) Are the pure romance dilators included in the procedure?

Yes. I am not sure if you have ever tried dilating with other dilators in the past. I did and tried so hard to use the hard white plastic ones. The pure romance set is nothing like them at all and are so, so great. First, they are a softer, silicone material. Second, and so importantly for me, they have a handle which made insertion, removal, and reinsertion much easier for both my husband and I. These were the only dilators available at the time I had my procedure and I, again, really liked them. And then, months after my procedure, the glass dilators were created and made available. I ordered a set and liked them even more than the pure romance ones. They are a bit shorter in length but still the same width as the pure romance. I liked this because they didn’t stick out at all as the pure romance ones did. I also really liked that they didn’t rub up against your thighs like the pure romance did and were much easier to walk, sit, and do other activities with (hence, another patient’s post about shopping while dilating). It really is possible to do while dilating with the glass dilators!

Ok ladies, please ask any and all questions that you have and, again, know that we are all here to support you!!!

Heather34
    Participant

Quotes from Becca: My procedure is scheduled for February 24th
    Quotes from Julie: Hi girls! My name is Julie and my procedure date is booked for February 24th and I cannot wait! I am so excited, nervous, relieved all at once.

Hi ladies. I wanted to wish you along with all of the girls coming up in February well with your upcoming procedures. My procedure in June of 2011 was so life-changing for both my husband and I and we still thank God so much that we found out about it. Prior to being treated, we both prayed daily about this and I tried many other avenues of treatment that failed (i.e. using dilators alone, pelvic floor PT, etc.). This was the one treatment that finally worked – thank God and thank Dr. P. We both think their were so many factors involved in what made it click and work this time, one including that the resistance that I experienced when trying to insert anything (even a q-tip) and also what he felt (when trying to insert even a finger), was no longer there and we were then able to insert all of the sized dilators and later him pain-free.

I also wanted to share a few past threads that you may find helpful to read.

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=144
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=272
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=441
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=576

Sending you hugs and positive thoughts and prayers!!! :):):)

kelseroo
    Participant

How much do the glass dilators cost?

Janet Pacik
    Participant

The Pacik Glass Dilators which have been customized by Dr. Pacik are $160.00 for a set of 3 dilators. They are about half the length of regular Pure Romance vaginal dilators and provide more comfort while dilating. The 3 dilators are equivalent to the #4, #5 and #6 dilators in the Pure Romance set. Additional information on the glass dilators, can be found on our website:
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus/vaginismus-aids/pacik-glass-dilators-set-of-3/

Heather34
    Participant

I wanted to wish Becca and Julie and the other gal who will be treated tomorrow well along with all of the guys and gals on here well. If you are reading this post after arriving to NH and while waiting pre-procedure, please know that we are all here for you and everything will go so, so well.

Dr. Pacik has written extensively about pre-procedure worry as it is so common and something that so many have experienced, including myself:

“There are a thousand worries that the average patient has as the day of treatment approaches. “What ifs” tend to be all consuming. There comes a point that it helps to simply allow the flow to take you along its course. I often tell (my worried surgical patients) that they should think of their surgery or treatment as a ride in the car. They put their seat belts on (these are the many safety monitors we have throughout the operating and recovery room) and I’ll take them for a safe ride. I know the route and I am a safe driver. For my vaginismus patients where the treatment has a high level of safety, but anxiety rears its ugly head, the same can be true to help stem the normal anxiety that takes place. There is not much more anyone can say. The day comes and goes, much like any other day. Now you are on one side, then you have stepped across and you are on the other side.”

You are all in excellent hands with Dr. Pacik, Janet Pacik, Ellen, Cynthia, and the entire team that you will meet while in NH. My husband and I have never met a more caring group of individuals and they make you feel at ease and are so very knowledgeable about everything that is vaginismus and what one goes through while having it. Sending you all hugs and, again, I know everything will go great tomorrow and, as Dr. P, writes, the day will come and then go and we are all here for you and look fwd to reading your future posts. :):):)

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.