Lubricants

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. Recently, in the Daily Questions Category, discussion came up on the use of personal lubricants. In the beginning, my hubby and I used lubricant very liberally as to avoid any potential dryness. We used the Lidocaine/Surgilube mix for the first couple of times and then switched to normal KY Jelly. Now, we’re using pre-seed natural lubricant. It works so great and is fertility friendly.

In the discussion of lubricants, Dr. P had an excellent post with some very good questions for the group, including: When should the xylocaine jelly mix be discontinued? How does water based compare to silicone based? What about lubes that create warmth and smell? Which lubes are better for those allergic to parabens? How about some of the oils like olive oil?

I would love to hear about your experiences with lubes and personal opinions on the best ones, worst ones, etc. I look forward to hearing from all of you and reading your posts.

hopejones
    Participant

I personally like the silicone based lubricant for dialating at night. I use KY jelly for sensitive skin and I really like it. The water based one would tend to get absorbed throughout the night and make it difficult to remove the dialator in the morning. It may be just personal preference but I thought I would put it out there.

Lifi
    Participant

I’ve only ever tried water-based lube. It’s true, it does get absorbed. But strangely enough, I wake up after 3 hours (I dont know why but I do) and at that point I feel it is dry, so I pull it out (by pressing on the labia, then it slips out without any pain), wash it, relube it, then it can stay all night and very comfortably without any problems! Has anyone else had that experience?

Diana
    Participant

Hi girls, we’ve been using ‘Astroglide’ with great results. I’ve heard that olive oil is a natural lubricant as well but haven’t used it at this point, I do remember running out of Astroglide once and used a 100% natural Aloe Vera gel in a bottle (bought from Whole Foods Market) with great results. Lifi: I had an experience like yours once when trying to dilate with an ‘Astroglide all natural ingredients’ sample bottle, for some reason it doesn’t work as well for me. I went back to the regular Astroglide, I suggest to try a different lubricant. Good luck!

spiritcandy
    Participant

I just got my surgery 3 days ago. I use water based lubricant (surgy lube mixed with Lydocane) but it’s really thick. It does seem to be dryer in the morning after sleeping with it, and I am afraid it will hurt if I pull it out. I have been using my muscles to push it out and I usually push it out in 30 seconds without touching it at all! I’m looking around for other lubes because I will run out soon. I asked the pharmacist which one she thought would last the longest and she said she didn’t know and looked at me like she was disapproving of my question. After reading here, I think I will go try the Astroglide with cocoa butter as a base.

spiritcandy
    Participant

I also heard that if you’re using the pure romance dilators, you shouldn’t use the silicon lubes because they will cause the dilators to expand.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Spiritcandy. I had a similar situation with the dilators and they felt dry as I took them out. I wrote this in another post and Dr. Pacik wrote the following reply:

“When dilators feel too dry on removal it is due to the water based lube absorbing. Here are a few tricks: Use a silicone lube first, then the water based on top of this. The silicone based lube will still be on the dilator in the morning; Try using olive oil as a base on the dilator, then the water based lube; Twist the dilator before removing to break the seal.”

I tried these suggestions and have had no further dryness with removal of the larger dilators. Ladies, do you have any further tips here? What lubricants worked for you?

arose
    Participant

Dr Pacik recommended I try ‘Yes’ lube. I have my procedure scheduled for next month, so I’ll try and order some for then. Has anyone tried this?

arose
    Participant

I was just looking on the Yes lube website. It mentions using the water and oil based lubes together as Heather described above, then I came across this http://www.yesyesyes.org/downloads/Ruths_Poster_2009_V2.pdf directily mentioning this technique to help aid vaginismus!!! I find it quite overwhelming that there are companies out there that recongise our problem!

Lou
    Participant

I use the yes lube – the oil and water based ones together – and it’s the best lube I’ve found. I experienced some stinging with some of the other lubes but nothing at all with these. Definitely recommend using yes!

Heather34
    Participant

This is the most popular thread in the Vaginismus Aids category. For those new patients who have recently been treated, what lubricants would you suggest for all future patients to use both with dilation and intercourse?

Heather34
    Participant

I, again, would definitely recommend using the YES lube. It is amazing and even talks about vaginismus on the website:

http://www.yesyesyes.org/yestimonials

This is from a recent testimonial about the product:

“I also have vaginismus and ran out of YES and used another company’s product and there was a noticeable difference — the dilator exercises I do were much more uncomfortable with the other product. It’s YES from now on. Also, even though the orders ship from the U.K., they’ve arrived here in the U.S. really quickly!” (June 2012)

GoldDahlia
    Participant

I know this is an old thread, but I’m just adding my two cents in case it would help anybody. I know everyone has different tastes in lube, so this is just what has/hasn’t worked for us (well, keeping in mind that nothing has “worked” since I have yet to undergo the procedure soon!).

We tried Astroglide for the first several years of our marriage, so I unfortunately associate it with our most frustrating attempts at intercourse. It was very slippery, but dried quickly. I also have moved away from synthetic petroleum based products.

Both the water-based and oil-based YES mentioned by others here are good, especially for the integrity of the ingredients. The oil-based was soft, but too thick and not slick enough for our tastes. My husband didn’t ever want to use this one. The water-based was much nicer, but we would still need to reapply often during play (dried quickly/kind of tacky).

A few months ago we discovered Sliquid Organics Natural Intimate Lubricant and love it! For us, it is the right viscosity (a little thinner than YES), very slippery, and never dries sticky or tight. It actually feels like very light moisturizer if you let it dry on your hand; we never feel the need to clean up afterward. http://sliquidorganics.com/

To keep in mind with the silicone dilators: silicone lubes break down silicone toys/dilators and should be avoided (per my Lelo Gigi instructions). Also, oil-based lubes break down condoms, in case you are using them for birth control. Glass is compatible with everything.

For overnight dilating I am planning to use my trusty water-based Sliquid with an oil based to keep it from drying out, probably just pure olive oil or coconut oil from the grocery store. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi GoldDahlia. This is a great post and we are always up for trying different lubricants and I just ordered the Sliquid. Can’t wait to try it. Also, I know you mentioned that you are awaiting your procedure and I seriously KNOW you are going to do so, so well with it and it will be life changing for both you and your husband. Please, please ask any and all questions that you may have pre-procedure as we have all been right where you are now and we are all here to support you!!! Can’t wait to read more of your posts. :):):)

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi GoldDahlia, I’m so excited that you are going to NH for the procedure. It is a life changing event, I promise you! Can’t wait to read your future posts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.