Suffering in silence is OUT! Reaching out is IN!

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Menopausal Vaginismus Suffering in silence is OUT! Reaching out is IN!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. I recently came across a great article concerning Putting an End to Painful Sex During Menopause:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-sarver-dolgen/painful-sex-during-menopause_b_5700781.html
    Excerpts from the article include:
    “Between 17 and 45 percent of postmenopausal women say they find sex painful, according to The North American Menopause Society (NAMS). According to the Women’s Health Concern, only 25 percent of these women seek treatment. What’s more, according to the International Menopause Society, 70 percent of women say their healthcare providers rarely or never raise the subject with them.”
    The article goes on to explore various treatment options and concludes that suffering in silence is OUT and reaching out for help is IN!!!!
    I encourage your comments and feedback here.

Helen Leff, LCSW

I feel very gratified when menopausal women come to Maze for treatment of painful sex and we are able to start treatment immediately. Generally the treatment is relatively short and very effective. When friends refer friends I know that women are talking about the issue and are not suffering in silence. Keep talking ….

I love the title of the post! Reaching out is indeed IN! Talking about sex can be so difficult for so many women, especially as we grow older, and society bands us as “less than sexy.” Well guess what? A healthy, enjoyable pain free sex life is important at any age, so please don’t keep your pain or frustrations locked inside, you when reaching out is right here!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.