How to De-Stress

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. While experiencing vaginismus, I was so, so, so stressed. In an excellent recent Blog, Helen Leff, LMSW discusses ways to de-stress. Specifically, she writes:

“when dealing with stress and trauma, it’s important to find ways to relax and be kind to yourself. Cry, exercise, write in a journal, keep your usual routine and also participate in enjoyable recreational activities. Turn to others for support and discuss your experiences and feelings with them. If indicated, counseling may be helpful. EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) is an effective therapeutic method as is IFS (Internal Family Systems). Hopefully we can utilize these coping strategies to move through the stress response cycle and come out on the other side stronger and better.”

I encourage you to read it and welcome your comments and feedback here.

In our hectic lives we often don’t feel we have time to actively de-stress. Often we do not notice the extent of the stress we are suffering from until it becomes unmanageable. Whether you feel stressed or not, it is important to try and keep a daily ritual of taking time for yourself…just you. We all have 10 minutes in the 24 hours of the day to keep just for ourselves. One great resource I have been using is called Insight Timer which is a free App for your phone. It has thousands of short guided meditations that can help you calm down from a hectic day, or be a way to head out into the world first thing in the morning feeling calm and relaxed. There is NO right way to meditate, just take the 10 minutes and keep them all to yourself!

As Heather pointed out. Undergoing treatment for Vaginismus can be stressful . I love Nicole’s suggestion of the 10 minute app that helps with meditation.
    Remember to Relax, Slow Down, Breathe, Take It Easy and Smile. Yes smile. Laughter has been found to decrease levels of stress hormones.
    Try and unplug for at least 10-15 minutes each day. Avoid emails, text message and TV news.
    A warm bath, listening to music , or enjoying any hobby that you love can help to decrease levels of stress.
    Remember you are not alone and all your hard work will ultimately pay off!

I like how Helen said it’s important to be “kind” to yourself. I think that sometimes we speak to ourselves in a way that we would never speak to a friend or a loved one. When I think of being kind to ourselves, the word that comes to mind is gentleness. We can be productive, reflective, and successful while still speaking to ourselves in a gentle, accepting, loving manner. Easy does it!

AshtonOscar
    Participant

helen is right. when stress come up then you need to divert your mind in other works.or change your thought then these things will make you de-stress

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.