Going down in dilator size post-procedure?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Going down in dilator size post-procedure?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    jesstaylor
    Participant

Hi all,
    I had my procedure 2 days ago (the 17th) and was so happy that I was able to insert the blue dilator with no problems the day of my procedure and at the follow-up appointment the morning after the procedure, even after the numbing went away. Last night, when I got home (day after procedure), I went to dilate and spent almost an hour trying to insert the blue dilator with no luck. I felt a bit of pain, but aside from that, I felt like I was applying so much pressure but it wouldn’t go anywhere. I tried the green and was able to get it in almost half-way but still not all the way. I started to freak out a little so I decided to wait until today to try again.
    Today, I was able to insert the orange dilator several times with no problems, but the green and blue still don’t seem to want to go in! Only the tip will go in and, no matter how much pressure I apply (which is a lot), they won’t go any further. I am feeling quite a bit of soreness on one side where the tear is from the procedure, but I’m still trying so hard to push through it with no luck. Also, I’m using tonsssss of lube and lidocaine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it okay if I just try to sleep with the orange in tonight and move on to green and blue tomorrow? I hate feeling like I am going backwards with dilating and it’s frustrating that I can’t use the blue like I was able to the first and second day.

Hi,

I know it is frustrating and you feel like you’ve gone backwards, but this is normal after the procedure. Botox doesn’t kick in until 3-5 days with maximum effects at 2 weeks and lasts for months. Those muscles still need to be worked on and stretched out and that will happen as you dilate. You will get back to the blue, it just takes a little time. Keep working with those dilators, you are doing everything right. And if you feel really stuck or frustrated make an appointment to go back to your provider for some guidance. Hope that helps!

Cathleen

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

JessTaylor, Cathleen is totally right – the procedure does a lot of work on the body and the days that follow involve recovery and strength-building and getting used to dilating on your own, and there are a lot of little ups and downs as you get more acclimated to dilating. Some days will be better than others for no discernible reason, but what matters is just to try to dilate with something every day, even if it’s just the smallest dilator. The best possible thing you can do with your body is be patient with it and move at a pace that feels comfortable – it’s a road you walk one step at a time and you’ll get there in the end!

Sks823
    Participant

jesstaylor,

This is totally normal! There will be times you feel pain and can’t insert a dilator that you could the previous couple of days – just dilate with a smaller dilator that day (or try the smaller one for a bit, and try the larger one again).

Trust your body – like others said, move at your own pace and be patient. My road with dilators was a pretty long one, slow and steady, but in the end I was able to get through all of the dilators just the same 🙂

Sending positive thoughts!

sonnyegan
    Participant

jesstaylor,

This is totally normal! There will be times you feel pain and can’t insert a dilator that you could the previous couple of days – just dilate with a smaller dilator that day (or try the smaller one for a bit, and try the larger one again “run 3“).

Trust your body – like others said, move at your own pace and be patient. My road with dilators was a pretty long one, slow and steady, but in the end I was able to get through all of the dilators just the same 🙂

Sending positive thoughts!

got it. Thanks for the good advice! I appreciate it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.