FIRST TIME WITH A SPECULUM. ANY ADVICE?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure FIRST TIME WITH A SPECULUM. ANY ADVICE?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Heather
    Participant

I have an appointment in a couple weeks with my gynecologist for this on going burning sensation I get whenever I have sex. It only started happening after I got my nexplanon implant(birth control). I know it’s not my lube, and I know it’s not my body since I have been easily sexually active after my BOTOX procedure and never had issues until recent. I got my procedure done in November and now my first time with a speculum is coming up and I’m very nervous she’s going to move in a way that will hurt me and throw my PC muscles into spasm and make the whole thing worse than it has to be. So I’m just wondering how anyone has accomplished their first time, what should I expect, how can I make it easier?

mazemelissa

Hi Heather,

A few recommendations.

I would dilate prior to the procedure, that will help relax the muscles before penetration with the speculum. You can bring the dilator with you and put the dilator in prior to the gyn entering the room, often times you will be sitting there for a few min waiting for her to come in.

You can also ask to insert the speculum yourself. It might make you less nervous if you are the one controlling the initial insertion of the speculum. Once the speculum is inside, you can let the gyn take over.

The burning sensation could be an infection, so having a culture done will be helpful to rule that out.

It also could be related to the nexaplanon, as it is hormonal, and sometimes hormonal birth control can make the vaginal entrance more sensitive. If that is the case you can ask your gyn for some local estrogen cream which might help.

Hope this helps!

Melissa

Heather
    Participant

Asking her to insert it myself will be very helpful and I definitely will be dilating beforehand. The lube wont ruin the culture? I know she’s going to ude some for the speculum but if I already have lube up there from dilating, it wont be too much for her to get a proper sample?

mazemelissa

I don’t think the lubricant will be an issue.
    Maybe try to use a little less than you normally would, and if you are already lubricated from the dilator, she shouldn’t need to add more to the speculum.

Let us know how it goes…

Melissa

jkennedy
    Participant

I just had a pap smear last month, Heather. As the previous poster mentioned, I dilated before going to the appointment, which helped a lot! So a few hours before I drove to the appointment, I spent that time relaxing and using the dilators to get comfortable.

In addition to that suggestion, I also wanted to mention that it’s a good idea to get into a good, relaxed headspace before going. Literally, the entire day of my appointment I made sure that I felt relaxed and wasn’t stressed. I was able to manage my stress and anxiety level by doing yoga, meditating, and clearing any stressors from my to-do list. I think the combination of dilating and being in a relaxed, calm mood helped tremendously. Much love for your appointment. Let us know how it goes! You’ve got this!

Heather
    Participant

My appointment is tomorrow, I expressed my concerns with my doctor and she prescribed me a Valium, since it’s my first time with a speculum so I think that will help. I plan on dilating beforehand and I’ll definitely post on this thread of how it went!

Helen Leff, LCSW

That sounds like a winning plan.
    Best of luck and keep us posted.

Heather
    Participant

Just completed my exam. SUCH a breeze! No pain, it was quick and easy and she says I look very healthy. She is referring me to a physical therapist though so my sex life can become even easier and healthier, she believes that my muscles are still a little stubborn still and that is the cause of the burning sensation I have been experiencing during sex but she also did take some cultures. I’m so happy I accomplished my first gyn exam! None of this would have been possible without my BOTOX treatment 😁😁😁

mazemelissa

So happy for you Heather!

I think working with a PT is a really good idea.

You have come so far, thanks for sharing with us!

Melissa

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Congratulations Heather! This is amazing news! Even after you’ve accomplished penetrative sex, there are more vaginismus moments like this and you handled this so welL! Really glad it wasn’t as bad as you had feared. As someone who’s now been having sex for awhile but HASN’T yet had a pap smear since my botox treatment, this was really encouraging!

Heather
    Participant

Thank you! I’m sure when it comes time for your first pap smear you’ll do great! I asked for the smallest speculum and it was no fatter than my pointer finger. Literally couldn’t even feel it. My physical therapy starts today and I’m so happy to have come so far! I’ll be sure to post a thread about the benefits and what it entails for future PT patients!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Yes, please keep us updated about how PT goes! And that makes sense about the speculum not being so bad, especially after dilating. I went in recently for a routine checkup STD test that required a vaginal swab and they gave me the option of doing it myself. It was SO much easier to be in control and do the swab myself! A great option for former vaginismus sufferers that need to maintain some control for their comfort.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.