Vaginismus on “Sex Education”

Home > Forums > Vaginismus Support Group > Vaginismus Advocacy > Vaginismus on “Sex Education”

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    recessivegenequeenrecessivegenequeen
    Participant

I recently watched the British TV show “Sex Education” on Netflix (which now has two seasons out) and was pleasantly surprised to see vaginismus represented in a side character! It’s a show about a teen whose parents are both sex therapists who decides to start running a sex advice clinic at his school. One of the young women he talks to experiences pain when she tries to have sex and the main character, Otis, does a pretty good job of explaining the effect of muscle tightening that causes the pain. It isn’t a perfect portrayal (a scene of dilating standing up???) but also shows dilators on TV and puts the word vaginismus into conversation in a widely popular tv show. I’m excited that this show can be a touchpoint for people that could help me to explain my vaginismus in the future – and which might help women who don’t know yet that they have vaginismus recognize it in themselves.

Yes, it’s great that we’re hearing about vaginismus in mainstream media. About time! Hopefully this episode will lead to increased awareness, which will lead to more open conversations and women with vaginismus getting the support they need. As they say, awareness is the first step…

recessivegenequeenrecessivegenequeen
    Participant

It certainly is! I hope people will recognize their symptoms as a result of the program and do more research – I think the episode does a good job of indicating that treatment is possible. And seeing dilators shown onscreen was a totally new – and exciting – experience at the scale of a widely-watched TV show.

Now that we are all social distancing, has anyone else had an opportunity to see this show? I’ve heard only great things! I’d love to hear others opinions and am hoping to watch as well. Take care everyone!

Now that we are all social distancing, has anyone else had an opportunity to see this show? I’ve heard only great things! I’d love to hear others opinions and am hoping to watch as well. Take care everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.