Using Dilators to Treat Menopausal Vaginismus

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Menopausal Vaginismus Using Dilators to Treat Menopausal Vaginismus

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. There is an excellent article concerning the success of using vaginal dilators to treat menopausal vaginismus:

http://www.vibrantnation.com/groups/love-sex/blog/use-vaginal-dilators-to-treat-dyspareunia-vaginismus-and-painful-sex-after-menopause/

Excerpts include:

“When sex after menopause is difficult because it seems painful or almost impossible for a man to insert his penis in your vagina, doctors most frequently recommend vaginal dilation with dilator sets. Dilator sets help you strengthen and train your pelvic floor to relax…

You may need the help of a doctor or trained physical therapist to explain the proper technique, but a woman can do the treatment in the privacy of her home and at her own pace.

One member wrote about her success using vaginal dilators. She said: ‘Ultimately my husband could actually fit again. At first it hurt and just inserting his penis was enough. Then when we began having sex, we changed positions. He was on his side and I was on my back, our legs intertwined. That position hurt a lot less than others and then after a month or so of actual sex, it didn’t hurt at all. And you know what? The sex is now better than it ever was prior to menopause. This position leaves the clitoris out and available for manual stimulation at the same time. Sex is now the best it’s ever been.’”

I have many patients that come in post meopausally needing dilators. They are very effective. You can get dilators online, but most times women will also need treatment of the underlying atrophic vaginitis to get the best success with the dilators.

Heather34
    Participant

This is a great post Cathleen. I just read your recent Blog about a new medication that treats this post-menopausal pain called Intrarosa. It was a great read and I wanted to share the link for anyone reading this thread today:

//mazewomenshealth.com/blog/2017/01/05/intrarosa-treatment-post-menopausal-pain/

“This new treatment would be for woman that are unable (or not willing) to use estrogen creams. As opposed to topical moisturizers, which treat the symptoms, this medication works on a cellular level repairing the layers of skin and increasing vaginal lubrication.”

Thanks Heather. There are a lot of treatment options available for postmenopausal vaginal atrophy. You do not have to live with this discomfort. If you are having painful sex after menopause, get yourself evaluated and work with your clinician to figure out the best treatment option.

Since this last post, I have started doing Mona Lisa treatments to treat postmenopausal vaginal atrophy, and I am excited to report that patients are doing well with the treatment. The Mona Lisa touch is a laser treatment that is used to treat the skin changes after menopause. It is quick, painless and non-hormonal. It is great for people who are tired of using creams, and for people that hormonal treatments are contra-indicated.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.