Treatment during periods?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Treatment during periods?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    annelies
    Participant

Just a general question.

I’ve read on another board there are pelvic floor therapist who insist you don’t miss a session, even if that means you’ll be having your period. Several members added that even when they are bleeding, they continue their dilation exercises. What is Maze’s viewpoint on this?

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Annelies – I am hoping one of the doctors from Maze will chime in, but I can speak as a former patient of Maze’s who did botox and dilation and say that I also dilated during my period. It can certainly be messier to dilate on your period, but if you can physically do it, it’s a good idea to keep up whatever routine you’ve been maintaining even while you’re menstruating. Some women even find it easier because your menstrual fluid can have a lubricating effect.

It’s important to note that dilation can feel different on different days and at different times of the month, and if for some reason dilating is extra painful during your period, you shouldn’t try to push yourself. Sometimes we’re able to use a dilator one day but not the next, and often with patience you can get back to any point you reached previously – sometimes our bodies are just different at different times!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.