silicone or hard plastic dilators?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating silicone or hard plastic dilators?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Vic123
    Participant

Hi, I’ve started the dilating treatment a while ago. I’s taking me a lot of time because i start the treatment, i first feel i¿m succeeding but then i get frustated all of a sudden and i stop the treatment. Then i start again 4 months later, so it’s almost like starting from scratch, and so on. I’m now in a phase full of hope, and i’ve started the treatment again after several months. I’m from Argentina, in my country i never found vaginal dilators, so i use a bare candle as #1 , and then candles broaden with gauze wrapping. Now i’m going to buy vaginal dilators on the internet.

lease, could you tell me wich ones are better?? silicon (pure romance) or hard plastic (vaginismus.com)??

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Vic123! Congratulations on your decision to purchase dilators–it’s a big step, and it’s also really impressive that you have been pursuing a treatment on your own. I don’t think I could have done it without the women at the Maze clinic, so I know you must be brave and tough!

I have used the silicon pure romance dilator set and highly recommend them. I think texturally they’re nice because there’s a very slight flexibility to them, which to me feels more forgiving and “realistic,” if that makes sense. I have used a hard plastic dilator as well as a filler size between two sizes I was having trouble with at the time, and I personally found the hard plastic one much harder to work with. Thus, my vote is for Pure Romance!

Also, since I’ve seen a couple of your posts around the forums and read what you wrote above, I wanted to add that the most important thing about dilating is to do it every day. Even if it’s just for 5-10 minutes, that’s still so much better than not doing it at all or doing it infrequently every few days. Treating vaginismus is basically exercising your vagina–you are stretching the muscles and sticking to a routine so that you can get better and better over time. Results don’t happen overnight, they happen over time.

Let us know how it goes with the dilators! We are rooting for you, and so many of us have been where you are. I know how hard it is, and I can promise you that breaking through the fear and the pain is worth it!

mazemelissa

I would recommend the pure romance kit over the vaginismus.com kit for sure.

I think the vaginismus.com dialtors are not as comfortable.

Most patients prefer the silicone.

Hope
    Participant

hello,

i have glass and silicon dilators .

but which ones are more muscles stretching ? any advice please

mazemelissa

The glass dilators will allow you to push more pressure on the muscles since it is a hard material.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Vic123. I know we’ve been talking in different threads recently. If you are reading this right now, which dilator set did you end up using? I personally really like the Silicone Pure Romance set as it is a softer material. Also, with this material, I always felt like I could liberally coat the dilators with lubricant and they didn’t dry out. Finally, I really like the handles which made inserting them, removing them and reinserting them much easier for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.