Questions for Spring 2015 Patients

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Questions for Spring 2015 Patients

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Leena
    Participant

Thanks so much, Heather and Dr. Pacik. This information is very helpful. All the best.

Flufy2015
    Participant

Hi Ladies! Thank you Heather for answering me so promptly! I am still reading Dr Pacik’s book Lol because I need to go check some word’s meaning (brazilians…. ^^) And a question came up to me: how it is possible to find the muscle who have the spasm problem? It is possible to find some and miss other muscles? I had several bad experiences during my journey and one of the most frustrating was when I was doing my therapy sessions and working with dilators, could use the #3 (pure romance kit) and I seemed to be starting to relax and rely more on myself. The problem is that when my husband tried to play at least in the region close to my vagina and for some reason (my head or real, I do not know set) I felt pain and it took me to level zero again. Lost all the work of a whole month. This is one of my fears. Vaginismus is a very crazy thing for me. Some time ago I would argue for sure he felt pain. Sometimes I just felt something choking me and I could not breathe. My doubt is whether during treatment with dilators something can ‘send a message of pain’ to my brain and I catch again.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Flufy2015. I can totally relate to what you have written. I always no matter what felt pain and tensed up whenever I would try for an exam and the doctor would even go near the area and also when my husband would even try to insert a finger. It was so frustrating. Right after my procedure, I had to warm up to the idea that my hubby would be there with me as I practiced dilating. I was uncomfortable with this mainly because we had reached the point in our marriage of just not talking about our problem with vaginismus and now, we were right there facing it head on. Thank God, the awesome staff and Dr. Pacik talked me through this and I realized how important it was to involve my husband. Then, while I practiced inserting, removing, and reinserting the dilators, he was right there with me and I even placed his hand on my hand during this. For me, it helped to open up our communication so much more and helped me to trust this was ok and something good that we were experiencing together. For him, he was so happy to be witnessing something such as the dilating that wasn’t hurting me and could fit and go in pain-free. It was truly a bonding experience as a couple. Dr. Pacik is so great and so knowledgeable about both the physical as well as emotional issues that we have with vaginismus. He can pinpoint the exact muscles and inject the Botox and this makes the wall of resistance dissipate which allows for pain-free insertion of the dilators. Also, during this physical treatment, he and the staff help you with the emotional challenges of vaginismus (i.e. fear, anxiety, relationship, transitioning to intercourse, etc.). It is a wonderful combination of elements that makes the overall program work so well. Please know I am here for you always! Sending you hugs!

Leena
    Participant

Hey, May 4-ers, I would really love to be in contact with you before NH! If you are willing and interested, please reply here so I can show the moderators our mutual interest in connecting, and they will give us each other’s email addresses.

I’m just starting to get the nerves and jitters here and there. I’m feeling a bit more emotional (kind of like I’m going to cry), and I think it is due to the reality setting in. I didn’t want to think about it too much in advance, but now as May 4th is approaching it’s naturally coming up. I’ve even started to feel tightening or some kind of sensations in my vagina without doing anything special – just sitting. It feels like I want to protect it from invasion. And once it felt like I had a hand up there, even though I don’t really know what that feels like. But my therapist helped me work it all out and thought it was normal for my body to express tension and apprehension in this way and gave me some ideas for meditating on the area and just reminding myself that my body is a whole and that part is feeling this way as an expression of fear and apprehension. I am wondering if I will throw up and/or cry when it is time for the procedure or a bit in advance. I think whatever happens, it will be a natural reaction for me to have to this experience and to just accept it for what it is and know that I am going forward and no matter what happens, at least I am making this big step because I feel I am worth it. Now I just need to keep telling myself all of this again and again, which I think has just become my plan!

Leena
    Participant

Heather, will I get to meet you in NH? I really hope so! You have helped me soooo much, and I feel as if you are a friend 🙂

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Leena! I’m so, so excited for you to have your upcoming procedure. Every single emotion that you are feeling right now is so common and so similar to how I felt prior to my June procedure. I was so nervous but also so happy to finally be doing this. I definitely was much more emotional in almost every part of my life leading up to the procedure but can never describe in writing just how awesome it went and how much it has changed our lives. I seriously know that everything is going to go so well for you with the procedure and it will be life-changing in so many ways. I will not be able to come up on 5/4 because I am scheduled to have my c-section on 5/7 of that week and 5/4 is my last day of work prior to maternity leave. But, I will definitely be there in spirit and will be able to chat on the Forum or even text/email if you wanted to. Dr. Pacik has written so many good posts but I wanted to share one of my all-time favorite ones with you that helps so, so much pre-procedure. In it, he writes:

“There are a thousand worries that the average patient has as the day of treatment approaches. “What ifs” tend to be all consuming. There comes a point that it helps to simply allow the flow to take you along its course. I often tell (my worried surgical patients) that they should think of their surgery or treatment as a ride in the car. They put their seat belts on (these are the many safety monitors we have throughout the operating and recovery room) and I’ll take them for a safe ride. I know the route and I am a safe driver. For my vaginismus patients where the treatment has a high level of safety, but anxiety rears its ugly head, the same can be true to help stem the normal anxiety that takes place. There is not much more anyone can say. The day comes and goes, much like any other day. Now you are on one side, then you have stepped across and you are on the other side.”

Thinking of you today and sending you big hugs!!!

Leena
    Participant

Thanks, Heather! C-section?! CONGRATULATIONS! What a lovely outcome! Thanks for your words and also the quote, they are both, as ever, very valuable. God bless and best wishes, Michele

Leena
    Participant

I just went out to purchase some of the things Dr. Pacik advised me to bring when we spoke on the phone. I’m sure he must have explained this, but my notes don’t reflect it and I don’t recall. Regarding the 1% hydrocortisone cream and ointment, the package says it is for relieving itching. Does this mean there will be itching post-procedure (which seems unusual) or that the hyrdrocortisone is good for other problems? Thanks, Michele

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Michele. Thank you so much. We’re soooooo excited! Had our 36 week appt this morning and everything went great. Only a few weeks left to go! This is a very good question about the Hydrocortisone cream. I wanted to share a post from one patient who used this post-procedure as well as follow-up from Dr. Pacik:

Patient A writes:
    “Dr. Pacik’s suggestion to use Hydrocortisone Cream has been a HUGE help for me. My lady bits are just so dang sensitive!!! I bought Hydrocortizone10 in the Cooling Gel formula for during the day and I’ve felt SO much better – then I’ve been using the Hydrocoritzone10 in the ointment for adding to my lube mix with dilating at night. I honestly can’t believe how much that’s helped me feel better the last couple days.”

Dr. Pacik writes:
    “It is common for women to have some skin irritation as a result of post procedure dilation. There is suddenly a great deal of penetrative activity that did not exist in previous years. 1% hydrocortisone is an over the counter topical that is anti-inflammatory and can be purchased either as a cream (faster acting) or as an ointment (longer lasting). It is generally used as a pea sized amount rubbed into the irritated area twice a day and can be used for 1-2 weeks.”

While I haven’t used the Hydrocortisone, it is supposed to be very, very good for helping with any sensitivity that you might experience post-procedure from dilating for the first time. Hope this helps! Sending you hugs!

Leena
    Participant

Thanks, Heather. Big hugs to you and your little one 🙂

Leena
    Participant

I think I need to double check on how much to shave pre-procedure. I do not normally shave, but in the past when I have I was very sensitive and got itchy, sore, redness. So I don’t want to shave any more than I have to. I don’t have all that much really. Can you please tell me precisely how much/wear to shave?

I am single, so I am coming with a friend so she can stay the night with me. In terms of the day of the procedure, what can she expect to do? I see her taking me into the office for moral support and then maybe coming to see me when I wake up. I’d like as much support and reassurance from her as possible (and she is willing to do that), but if the rest of the day is just me dilating under the supervision of a staff member, I don’t see her being involved in that. If you could help clarify what the day will look like and share any ideas on how she may be of best support to me in it, I would appreciate it.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Shaving: I suggest that the hairs around the vulva are simply trimmed so they are not too long. Shaving is not needed. The reason for this is that the small drops of blood (from the injections) mix with the lube making it a bit messy. Hygiene is easier if you don’t have to deal with long hairs.

Caregiver: Since your friend will be primarily a caregiver there is no reason for her to be involved with your post procedure care or the counseling the next day. She would be invited to participate, but I leave this up to you. Hope this helps.

Leena
    Participant

Thanks much, Dr. Pacik.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Michele. We’re half-way through the week! I know your procedure is coming up on Monday and wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and I seriously KNOW that everything is going to go so, so well for you while up in NH. I think it’s so awesome that your friend will be coming with you. In your off time away from the office, I wanted to share a link for some good restaurants up in Manchester that are all relatively close to one another. Sending you hugs!!!

Forum member writes:

“I have only lived in Manchester for about six months, but here are a few links to get you started. Also, the Seacoast area is beautiful and if you have a car and the time, then a drive to downtown Portsmouth is probably worth it. As quaint and charming as you can imagine a little New England town to be.
    Restaurants (most of these and a number of other dining options are on Elm St.)
    Eclectic. Excellent food. Nice date place: http://www.mintbistronh.com/
    Good margaritas and fun atmosphere: http://www.margs.com/
    Very casual gyros: http://thegyrospot.com/
    Our fave pizza in town — delivery or carry-out: http://www.sals-pizza.com/
    Cute cafe with yummy croissants and high-end chocolates: http://dancinglion.us/cacao/
    If you NEED a cupcake: http://www.qccupcakes.com/
    Here’s a link from tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g46152-Activities-Manchester_New_Hampshire.html”

Also, from Janet Pacik: Another resource for the “Best of New Hampshire” is our local Hippo newspaper. Each year, they come out with a special edition of the “Best of . . .” http://hippopress.com/read-article/and-the-hippo-goes-to (this may help in finding both restaurants and activities while here)

Heather34
    Participant

Good luck tomorrow Michele and the other gals who will be treated! Thinking of you all and sending positive vibes, prayers, and big hugs!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.