Questions for Spring 2015 Patients

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Questions for Spring 2015 Patients

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi Heather34! My procedure is schedule for May 6! I am really excited and I have a lot of questions:
    1) After the procedure I will able to enjoy my stay in NH? Or will I need some days to recover and go back to normal routine?
    2) About meet other patients in the recovery room: how does it happen?
    3) What kind of clothes I should wear and take with me to NH?
    I’m will come back with more questions…
    I am still reading Dr. Pacik’s book and some questions are appearing.
    ps: I apologize for my poor English (I am not american…)

Leena
    Participant

Thanks, Heather. Regarding the Pacik glass dilators, if I decide that I want to try those are they available for purchase at the office? I figure I will try the silicone ones you give us first, but if I have trouble with them I might need to buy the glass ones.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Leena. I am so, so, so excited for you to have your upcoming treatment with Dr. Pacik. The time between now and then will go by so fast and I know this will go so well for you. I found an excellent link on the glass dilators that describes both the patient testimonials plus the price and they are available for purchase at the office.

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=703

At the time of my procedure in 2011, they weren’t yet available so I solely used the silicone pure romance set. I found them to be a bazillion times more comfortable than the plastic dilators I had tried in the past and I absolutely loved that they had a handle which made them so much easier for me to insert and remove. I very liberally used the lidocaine/surgilube mixture in the beginning and found that this helped so much. It wasn’t pain at all in the beginning and they were able to go in without the normal resistance/hitting a wall feeling that I had always had with everything. Many months later, I ended up getting the set of glass dilators and I love, love, love these. They are shorter in length and much more comfortable. I solely used these prior to ob/gyn exams and would even wear them to work during the day. Prior to my procedure, the idea of anything terrified me and I never ever would’ve thought that I would be comfortable with anything glass. But, it is truly amazing to see the transformation and what our bodies will do and I can honestly say that the glass ones are incredibly comfortable. They also don’t rub up against your thighs when walking too as they are shorter in length. I found that the silicone ones, while awesome, were definitely harder to comfortably walk with. Ok, hope this helps. Sending you hugs and positive thoughts today!!!

hoorayitsamanda
    Participant

My procedure is coming up on April 1st! I’m very excited, relieved and nervous. 😛

I’m sure that this has been addressed in other areas but what’s in the top 10 items you all think are the best to bring with you for the procedure and after? also, my husband is recovering from foot surgery so a lot of walking isn’t possible but any restaurant or activity suggestions in that area? 🙂

Heather34
    Participant

Hi hoorayitsamanda!!!! I am so, so, so, so, so excited for you to have your procedure coming up on 4/1. The next couple of weeks will fly by and I promise you that it will go so well and be such a wonderful and life-changing experience. I have a list of my favorite Top 10 tips which includes some of the items I would bring for the trip:

My favorite 10 tips:

TRUST IN GOD – with God all things are possible!!!

Replace any negative thoughts with positive ones. You WILL be successful with this procedure, with dilating, with achieving intercourse, and with OVERCOMING vaginismus!

Trust that Dr. Pacik and his staff really do know what they are doing and want nothing more than for you to succeed!

Know that the road may be long and tortuous with unexpected bumps along the way. Keep dilating and keep the faith. You have made a quantum leap and any long journey take times and patience, but the rewards are great.

Take advantage and utilize the Forum! Words can’t express how much I have benefitted from the love, support, advice and sharing from so many women on this Forum. All these years of suffering in silence; too afraid and humiliated to talk to anyone about what I was going through. But this Forum has given all of us a voice. We aren’t alone anymore! We can share our ups and downs. To me, this has been a huge part of my road to healing!

INCLUDE and TRUST your husband or partner in the entire process.

You’re treatment is unique to you! From Dr. Pacik: “It is so important to be aware of this concept. When three patients are treated the same day, we start with different degrees of severity of the vaginismus and different levels of anxiety. Each then follows along a different course. Some sail through with the large dilators, others struggle. Some achieve early intercourse others take longer. This is all emphasized during the counseling sessions so no one feels left behind. It is the final victory of overcoming lifelong vaginismus that counts. This is an important area for treated patients to post so others can understand the varied progress women make after treatment. It is all part of the big picture of the community supporting one another, so that here too, no one feels like a “freak” and no one ever feels the torment of feeling isolated.”

Communicate with those around you as well and the staff at the clinic. Communicate with your partner, they want you to get better as much as you do. Communicate with those around you, vaginismus is nothing to be ashamed of and you never know if someone you know is suffering from the same thing. Dr. P and his staff are there to answer questions and comfort you during this whole process.

Practice MINDFULNESS: We are all aware of the importance of “being in the moment”. Rather that fighting the dilation process (pain is the enemy, “I don’t want you”, “I am afraid of pain”) think of assigning a number to your experience, knowing that in a few moments the quality of this experience changes.

Particulars: Clothing: Definitely make sure you have some spanx type undies/shorts and yoga (type) pants. Things to bring to NH: I did bring some Advil PM to use for sleeping the first couple nights and I brought a travel pillow for the car, which was amazing.

As for restaurants up in Manchester, I found a great prior post from a member who lives right in Manchester and it includes some great options very close by:

“I have only lived in Manchester for about six months, but here are a few links to get you started. Also, the Seacoast area is beautiful and if you have a car and the time, then a drive to downtown Portsmouth is probably worth it. As quaint and charming as you can imagine a little New England town to be.
    Restaurants (most of these and a number of other dining options are on Elm St.)
    Eclectic. Excellent food. Nice date place: http://www.mintbistronh.com/
    Good margaritas and fun atmosphere: http://www.margs.com/
    Very casual gyros: http://thegyrospot.com/
    Our fave pizza in town — delivery or carry-out: http://www.sals-pizza.com/
    Cute cafe with yummy croissants and high-end chocolates: http://dancinglion.us/cacao/
    If you NEED a cupcake: http://www.qccupcakes.com/
    Here’s a link from tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g46152-Activities-Manchester_New_Hampshire.html”

Also, from Janet Pacik: Another resource for the “Best of New Hampshire” is our local Hippo newspaper. Each year, they come out with a special edition of the “Best of . . .” http://hippopress.com/read-article/and-the-hippo-goes-to (this may help in finding both restaurants and activities while here)

Flufy2015
    Participant

Hi Heather34! My procedure is schedule for May 6! I am really excited and I have a lot of questions:
    1) After the procedure I will able to enjoy my stay in NH? Or will I need some days to recover and go back to normal routine?
    2) About meet other patients in the recovery room: how does it happen?
    3) What kind of clothes I should wear and take with me to NH?
    I’m will come back with more questions…
    I am still reading Dr. Pacik’s book and some questions are appearing.
    ps: I apologize for my poor English (I am not american…)

Leena
    Participant

Hi, tkss. I’m really excited for you! My procedure is on May 4th, so there is a possibility I might get a chance to meet you. Where are you from originally? All best wishes, Michele

Leena
    Participant

Hi, everyone. I am having my procedure done on May 4th. If the two other ladies having it that day are willing, I would love to have the opportunity to correspond with you a bit on the forum or in private email before then. Let me know if you are interested. Wishing you both all the best, Michele 🙂

Flufy2015
    Participant

Hi Leena,
    I will love meet you. I am from Brazil. I will arrive at NH on May 4th (evening). If you don’t mind I will love correspond to you, I never had the opportunity to talk to someone who share the same sittuation as me.
    xox
    N.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Flufy2015. Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your post. Huge CONGRATS on your upcoming procedure in May. Very, very exciting and I know everything will go so well for you! I wanted to address some of your questions:

You will be visiting NH during such a beautiful time of year – springtime. I think you will definitely be able to enjoy your time here. I know from my own experience and talking to so many other women that everyone’s experience is different. For me, on day 1, my hubby and I traveled from Manchester back to Boston and I rested and relaxed. Then, on day 2, I did the same post-procedure. For some patients, they have rested back in their hotel rooms on day 1 while others have taken roadtrips to various beaches. If you will travel to a local beach to see the beautiful coast, the only thing that I would recommend is bringing a travel pillow to sit on as this will be more comfortable for you. On day 2, I’ve spoke to patients plus read several testimonials that this is the day some do day trips and explore the local area. There are so many beautiful neighboring towns such as Portsmouth, NH as well as Boston, MA.

2) Meeting other patients in the recovery room

I will be completely honest with you that I was terrified and so anxious of this idea prior to my procedure. I was mainly so nervous because I had never told anyone or talked about it before so the thought of this terrified me. Immediately after my procedure, Dr. Pacik asked my husband and I if we wanted to meet the other couple who was there for the same procedure and asked them the same question. We said sure and introduced ourselves plus talked for a brief time. It was kind of a nice feeling instead of the what I had nervously anticipated. We both felt like we weren’t the only ones with this. Then, on day 2, the other woman and I attended solo and became such good friends. We talked all morning long and both participated in the counseling with Ellen and Dr. Pacik. It was so nice to know we weren’t going through this alone and we had each other. We even exchanged e-mail addresses afterwards.

3) Clothes to take to NH

For the general weather in NH in May, I would bring a Spring jacket (especially with this year’s winter) and for the specific time of your procedure and after, I would wear very comfortable clothes such as yoga pants. I would pack comfortable but tight fitting panties or biker type shorts as this will help you post-procedure while dilating.

Please, please ask more questions and I will answer and am here to support you. May 6th will be here before you know it and I just know everything is going to go so great for you. And, it is very, very exciting that you will be traveling from Brazil. Sending hugs and support!!!

Heather34
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from hoorayitsamanda on March 12, 2015, 09:50
    My procedure is coming up on April 1st! I’m very excited, relieved and nervous. 😛

Hi hoorayitsamanda. Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you throughout the week and I know everything will go great for you with your upcoming procedure next Wednesday. Please let us all know if you have any questions and know we are here to support you!!!

Leena
    Participant

Heather, is the price of the Pure Romance silicone dilators that are used during NH covered in the price of the procedure? Do we get the entire set, smallest to largest? Thanks.

Leena
    Participant

Heather, could you please pass along my email address to Flufy2015 via private message? We’re both interested in connecting with one another before our May 4th procedures. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

A full set of Pure Romance dilators (#1-6) is included in the fee. The glass dilators are sold separately in my office and are available sizes 3-8 (7 and 8 for oversized partners) or the usual set of #4-6 which is suitable for most patients. Single glass dilators are also available
    The problem with the #5 and #6 silicone dilators is that they are manufactured too long (5-6 inches in length). The vagina is normally 3 1/2 to 4 inches long. For this reason all the glass dilators are about 3 1/2 inches long which easily gets past the spastic muscle at the entry to the vagina and are more comfortable to wear when doing activities.
    I look forward to meeting you and helping you.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Leena and all. Yes, the pure romance set is included in the cost of the procedure and it includes the entire set (color coded and smallest to largest). I love, love, love the fact that both the pure romance dilators plus the glass dilators have a handle on the end which helped to make it easier for me to insert, remove, and reinsert. I like the glass set better though b/c I found the handle on the pure romance ones (pink and large blue) would sometimes rub up against my thighs which made it uncomfortable to walk around and I had to kind of sit on the side of my butt instead of sitting straight up when I dilated at work. With the glass ones, b/c of the shorter length, the handle never bothered me while walking or sitting and I could comfortably sit up-right. I hope this helps. I also e-mailed the office about exchanging e-mails b/t yourself and Flufy2015 and this is all set – you should’ve both received an e-mail concerning this. I think it’s great to be able to talk to each other in advance of May and it will help so much to know someone else that will be traveling up to NH too. Please know I am here for you all. Sending hugs.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.