Physical and Emotional Aspects Post-Procedure

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Physical and Emotional Aspects Post-Procedure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. I recently received an e-mail with a couple of questions about both the physical and emotional aspect of what one may experience post-procedure. Specifically, in the immediate days following the procedure, is it normal to experience soreness/discomfort and also, is it normal to experience increased emotions (i.e. anxiety, etc.)? This was my response:

It’s entirely normal to feel some discomfort w/the dilators and also very emotional. This is expected seeing how much you have been through in such a short amount of time. It’s called the let-down period and I absolutely experienced this as well. Ellen was super, super helpful to me with this and also very supportive too. Also, Dr. Pacik told me that the soreness was from all the traffic down there and was to be expected … very, very true for me. For me, it was almost like never ever working out and then doing boot camp for 2 straight days. At the end, your muscles would be sore from all the running, jumping jacks, etc. Here, too, my muscles were a bit sore from the dilating (very normal and expected). And, my anxiety also went way up and down post-procedure too b/c of all the build-up to it and then giant sigh of relief afterwards. It’s like when I was studying non-stop for an exam. Our instructors told us that we may catch a cold or get a little sick following the test b/c we built up to it for so long and the stress associated with this. Again, entirely normal and expected.

To the veterans, what have been your own experiences both physically and emotionally in the first few days following the procedure? Do you have any specific advice that may be helpful to those recently treated or awaiting their treatments?

Allie
    Participant

I am 5 days post procedure. Physically, I am doing fine post procedure with the dilators. (Which was the one thing I was most worried about). I didn’t even think or worry about the emotional part afterwards. Maybe if I would have been more prepared I wouldn’t be having these panic attacks. Be prepared that our body and minds have been through SO much all these years of suffering. For me the week before treatment and the week of I could NOT sleep at all. That is another big part that can cause anxiety. You can’t expect to come home and everything be just fine! I am still needing to catch up MENTALLY where I am physically. Another thing, my husband had to go back to work saturday(we came home Friday) I was a complete mess! I didn’t want him to leave. Thankfully my mom was able to come over and hang out with me all day so that definitely helped! 🙂

coffee
    Participant

i totally agree. i feel the same way, mentally i feel i am not where i need to be, trying to work on some things.

coffee
    Participant

i totally agree. i feel the same way, mentally i feel i am not where i need to be, trying to work on some things.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.