Painful penetration, could it be vaginismus?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Painful penetration, could it be vaginismus?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rosiyay
    Participant

Why is penetration painful? I’ve done a lot of googling, have not yet been to a doctor. I don’t have any female friends so I don’t really have anyone to ask. I’m female, 20. I can’t seem to find anything on the internet about this. When penetration is attempted, whatever it is, tampon, dildo, penis, it can be inserted about an inch before I start to get pain and it feels very tight and if it’s pushed further, almost like it would be a bursting or breaking/snapping feeling or something. From my knowledge the hymen isn’t located an inch inside the vagina. Does anyone else experience this, or have experienced it in the past and know what it is? Thanks.

Sks823
    Participant

Absolutely, I think this is vaginismus! I had vaginismus and I’ve felt exactly the same way, even when using dilators with Maze to overcome it. It’s described as feeling like a ‘wall’ (it’s your pelvic muscles).

With time and practice, you can relax those pelvic muscles/get through them – you can get a tampon, dildo, dilator, etc. through successfully 🙂

I remember doing HUGEEEE deep breaths when I was using dilators while also being suuuuuuuuper slow when inserting. Sometimes it felt like the ‘wall’ slowly opened (but I’m not a medical professional so I don’t know exactly what happened and that could have been in my mind HAHA). Sometimes knowing that I did it before (inserted the dilator successfully) would help me relax and ‘open’ those muscles. Also using tons of lube was a game-changer for me 🙂

I hope this helps!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi rosiyay – thanks for posting on the forum! I agree that it sounds like this could definitely be vaginismus or another vulvar pain disorder. I would recommend going to a gynecologist to get checked out and learn more. Hopefully you can get a clearer diagnosis and figure out more precisely what’s causing the pain. There are a wide range of treatment options for all kinds of vaginal/vulvar pain so it is definitely worth seeking out more info from a professional in your area! If you’ve had bag gynecological experiences before, you can also try calling gynecologists and asking if they have experience with vaginismus and similar issues.

Let us know if you have any other questions along the way!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.