Dilator to intercourse

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Dilator to intercourse

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sanzk94
    Participant

Hi all!

I have successfully been able to insert dilators with minimal pain and have started to work towards sex with my husband however some advice is needed. When we do try, a small part of the tip is able to go in but then that brick wall feeling is back even though I’m not in pain. It also slips upwards because of the lube. We put it down to the dilators having a thin tip which makes it easier to guide in but any advice would be appreciated! What helped the transition from dilator to intercourse?

Helen Leff, LCSW

Hi Sanzk94!
    First of all congrats on successfully dilating. At Maze we find dilating immediately prior to intercourse is very important when it comes to transitioning to intercourse. I understand that the tip of your dilators is tapered which is helpful for dilating. Perhaps you aren’t dilating with a dilator that is larger than your partner’s penis. In order to have successful “pain free” intercourse it’s necessary to dilate a bit larger than your partner. Also the lube we recommend is Sliquid, or organic coconut oil if you aren’t using a condom. Intercourse may feel very mechanical at first. You will get the hang of it.
    Take care and let us know how you are doing,
    Helen

mazemelissa

I echo Helen’s recommendations, for sure dilation immediately prior to intercourse is essential. And we mean seconds, have the largest dilator inserted (this should be as big or bigger than your partner), remove the dilator, and then have your partner insert his penis.

You might also want to try using some pillows to elevate your bottom to make penetration easier for your partner.

Sanzk94
    Participant

Thank you! I have tried the dilation right before intercourse I think the issue may be that I need to work up to a larger size especially with the tip. I have been reading up about the glass dilators which aren’t as tapered would that be a good idea to try?

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Sanzk94 – I haven’t tried the glass dilators but I think the doctors are right in regards to working up to a larger size – with a penis the size of the head is a new experience so being comfortable with a bigger size really helps overcome that initial push!

Sanzk94
    Participant

Thank you all I will definitely go a size up on the dilators and keep you posted on the results! Knowing that my body can handle working it’s way up in sizes definitely helps I did a previous post on my dilator journey and have seen such an improvement since then!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

It’s amazing, right? Success with earlier dilators definitely helps – it gives us more confidence that our body can keep handling new challenges!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.