Dialation & Botox

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blueberry88
    Participant

Hi,

I currently had the Botox treatment done along with a hymenectomy ( I had a septated hymen) 2 weeks ago.

I didn’t wake up with a dilator as you would do here. I saw my gyno for a follow up & she was able to insert a finger which was great news as before it was a struggle to even insert a qtip!

I went home & began to dilate & I was able to to fit in the largest size of my synthetic dilator set. I then began to use the plastic dilator set as it has bigger sizes & was able to get most of it in, but I experienced a huge burning sensation & it had pink discharge on it. Is this normal to feel pain? How long should I keep dilating for?

Heather
    Participant

Congratulations on all your progress!! The burning could be from a number of reasons! I too had a hymenectomy and I know for a while it burned to dilate. You’ve had a lot of trouble in there between the BOTOX injections and the hymenectomy so your tissues may be still recovering. It could also be the burning sensation of your muscles stretching. Or it could be your lube! As for the pink discharge, perhaps that’s a mixture of a little bit of light bleeding and your lube? Definitely keep up with your progress and dilating but maybe it could be a good idea to get an exam! Just to make sure everything is okay! Everything is so new to you and your body and may take some adjusting. After my BOTOX treatment, I had to see the doc a few times for the same concerns you’re having. Your body is going through a major change right now so be patient and listen closly to it and I know everything will turn out fine for you 🙂 It’s also important to remember that BOTOX doesn’t kick in for 2 full weeks so maybe you were still feeling some pain from the vaginismus. How are you doing now? Keep us updated! We’re here to help 🙂

Blueberry88
    Participant

Hi Heather!

Thank you so much for your support!

I was able to fit the larger dilator in which is so amazing! However it’s been about 3 days now & when I first put it in it is so painful so I have to use lidocaine which helps. I am also still experiencing pink discharge with the largest one & wondering if this is normal to still feel the pain?

I’m also wondering when I should transition to intercourse?

Blueberry88
    Participant

Update!

I tried intercourse & he was able to get through but I had to stop because it was really painful and I started to bleed.

Is this normal even though I’ve had a hymenectomy?

Heather
    Participant

Hey girk congratulations on all your hard work!! Good for you attempting intercourse! I’m sorry it was painful. I think it’s a good idea to withstand from sex until you can easily dilate with the largest size. Only because sex will be way more fun if it doesn’t hurt! As for bleeding, I’m wondering if it could be micro tears. When you’re stretching and dilating, that could happen. If it doesn’t go away soon, I’d go get an exam just to make sure there’s no damage to your tissues. I know it’s super tempting and I know how excited you are, especially with how far you’ve come! But my best advice would be to get examined by a doctor, and hold off on sex until dilating is easy breezy! And if you’re scared to get an exam, you can ask for Valium and the smallest speculum. I do that every time I go, my gynecologist knows my history with vaginismus and is very understanding. They can also use lidocaine on you too! It’s so quick, like 1 minute tops! Again, congratulations on all your hard work and diligence! You’re kicking butt!!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Blueberry88 – has your pain subsided? Heather’s advice was spot-on! I agree that you shouldn’t try to rush into intercourse if it’s still acutely painful – after all, vaginismus is predicated partly on a negative relationship in your mind and body between pain and sex, so you don’t want to further compound that association! I’d have a doctor look especially if you’re still having that pain. Let us know how things are going and I hope it’s improved since you last posted!

Helen Leff, LCSW

Hi Blueberry88,
    It’s been a few months since you had Botox and I’m wondering how things are going for you these days. We are here to help tweak things if need be and also to just let you know that we hear you!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.