Advice for Gyno appt.

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Advice for Gyno appt.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Allie
    Participant

I have a gyno appt March 4th. I will be having a Pap smear done. Once again, I’m terrified thinking about it. Even though I’m doing great with the dilators there’s just something frightening about laying on a table with your legs spread apart and having a complete stranger insert a speculum. I hate not being in control. This may sound silly but I thought about laying on my bed with my legs spread(just like it has to be done in a drs office) and have my husband insert the dilator. I think it will help prepare me because he will be in control and not me.

What else can I do to prepare myself because I want to be able to complete a Pap smear. And not only that we will want to start trying for a baby soon and it is very important to me that I will be able to tolerate dr exams. Any advice?!

coffee
    Participant

I am so happy for you Allie . You are doing so excellent. I recently had a papsmear done. A hour before procedure we inserted num 5 dilator. I left it in till my exam and the doctor pulled the dilator out and she used the smallest speculm, it went in with no problem. I was so scared I have been going to physical therapy, so in physical therapy I positioned my legs like a butterfly it made me more comfortable. It took me a ill bit to gain my composure but I did it. Now if I can just get over my other challenge. You all are doing so good.

coffee
    Participant

Keep up the good work.

coffee
    Participant

She also started me on birth control.

Allie
    Participant

Thank you so much Coffee! I will definitely plan on dilating before, great idea!

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Allie, I am due to schedule my appointment and have really hesitated. I’m so proud of you for making that appointment. I think dilating before you go would really help both your body and your mind get prepared. When I go I plan to take a lorazapan to help me take the edge off. I’m here for you 24/7 and please don’t hesitate to text, email, call if you want to talk. You can do this! Look how far you have come! You rock girlfriend!

Allie
    Participant

Thank you! I miss texting with you, been soo busy lately! Hope you have a good weekend and we must talk soon!!! 🙂

Nakitalab
    Participant

I miss that too. I think of you often and say to myself I need to check in with Allie and then I get distracted. 🙁 I definitely will this week. Have some questions for ya. :0)

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Allie. This is a major milestone post-procedure and I am so, so proud of you for scheduling this appointment and KNOW you will have complete success with it. I remember being very, very nervous prior to my first appointment post-procedure but had complete success.

I wrote:
    “Hi Dr. P. Wanted to let you know that everything went AMAZING today with Dr. C. I successfully had my first GYN exam in my life and it didn’t cause any pain whatsoever. HUGE SMILES and THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!! I wore the blue (largest #6 of 6) dilator for 2 hours prior to the exam. I talked to Dr. C. about you, the procedure, and the significance of just how well it had worked for me (i.e. only 1 week following surgery, we could have intercourse after 15 years of not being able to insert anything, even a “Q tip”). I also told her how great of a Doctor you were and how you do such an amazing job educating and advocating for those suffering with this condition. She said she met you twice and, too, really thought you were great.
    So, after the breast exam, she had me move to the edge of the exam table. I did this and she gently removed the blue dilator and then gently inserted the speculum. Every other time in the past, I would be in tears because this hurt so bad and my legs would entirely tense up. Here, my knees tensed a little but I was able to relax them and the speculum went in with ease (i.e. NO PAIN WHATSOEVER)!!!! Right after this, she did a two finger exam as well with, again, no pain. I was so, so happy that this worked and was entirely successful.
    She was surprised or intrigued at just how effective the Botox treatment was for me and asked me a lot more questions about it. It was just a wonderful experience today when every single other one that I’ve had in the past has been horrible. Thank you so much for making this possible, something less than 6 months ago I never ever thought I would be able to do. You’re the best!
    Take care, Heather.”

In addition to this, Dr. Pacik has written very, very helpful blogs regarding this subject:

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/un-dreading-the-dreaded-gyn-exam/

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/importance-of-gyn-exam/

I am here for you always and I KNOW you will have complete success Allie!!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.