Vaginismus on TLC

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Advocacy Vaginismus on TLC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. Vaginismus has been featured in the TLC show “Strange Sex”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfE3kVvCK2I&feature=related

While I don’t care for the name of the show and labeling like this, I do applaud the couple for their bravery in sharing their story. I’m also happy to see that vaginismus is discussed in any way as this may lead more women to discovering their symptoms and associated diagnosis.

In viewing this show, it makes me think how amazing it would be if vaginismus was featured on Dr. Oz or The Doctors show and this treatment in particular was discussed in detail. I’ve written letter submissions to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas of how we could petition the networks to cover this topic and treatment?

There have been several important media outlets in which vaginismus was discussed as well as Dr. Pacik’s treatment. Ones that come to mind include: radio shows as well as important articles in Cosmopolitan Magazine and, most recently in 2013, a great article in YouBeauty.

Does anyone have any further ideas of media outlets that we can advocate to (i.e. television, magazines, on-line sources, etc.)? If the 455 of us collectively can help even one women with vaginismus to no longer suffer in silence, then it is so, so worthwhile. I look forward to reading your comments and ideas.

Olivia
    Participant

Hi Heather,
    I agree, the title is a little annoying but I am glad when I see shows talk about vaginismus or pain with sex. I was watching a show on E! last night called Total Divas and one of the girls on the show went to go see a gynecologist because she was experiencing a lot of pain with intercourse. Her friend on the show told her to “just suck it up”. I felt so bad for her! I have not been able to find anything else on the internet about whether she was able to solve her issue but I was glad to at least see it on a show. I know we previously talked about the Bethenny show and sending notes revealing our stories. On her website I found a link to a segment that is titled “are you keeping a secret and want to come clean?” I found this to be an interesting title but also sad how vaginismus is such a source of shame and is such a secret. Below is the link:
    http://www.bethenny.com/be-on-the-show/1189/

I have recently been debating if/how/when I am going to tell my closest friends and family or whether I will wait until I have successfully achieved intercourse…

Heather34
    Participant

The Bethenny show is a really, really great idea Olivia and the more we submit, the more likely these various media sources will publish information about vaginismus.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.