The string…

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    K Howard
    Participant

I would have never guessed this would actually happen! Even after doing fairly well with the dilators and achieving full penile insertion a couple of times, there was still this part of me that wanted nothing to do with inserting a tampon!!! Well, yesterday evening I was able to overcome that fear and insert my very first tampon ever (at age 34!). I was able to insert the tampon just fine (thanks to the work with the dilators) but something about pushing the part inside of me had me thrown for a loop. I was using a really small tampon initially but after inserting it, I found myself having difficulty pushing the actual cotton part inside. I think it was because I’d used a little too much lube and my hands were a bit slippery. So, I took that one out and had to use a regular sized tampon because I didn’t have any more of the small ones. I put lube on the regular size one but made sure to just get it on the applicator part. I was able to insert it fine. I took my time pushing the cotton part inside of me since I had no idea what the feeling would be like. Then came time to remove the applicator. This took a little time as I seemed to have to work it out – kind of turning it as with the dilators. And there it was – nothing but the string hanging out of me! The instructions (yes, I did have to read them lol) said if you didn’t feel anything then you did it correctly and I truly didn’t feel a thing! It still felt strange as I knew something was inside of me but I couldn’t feel it whereas I was used to having dilators inside of me but knew they were there. I left it in for about an hour. Then came the part of removing the tampon. I did kind of get really nervous here because it seemed like it did’t want to come out! I didn’t want to tug too hard so that it didn’t feel sore but couldn’t figure out how to pull it out without that happening. I just continued pulling slowly until I felt it starting to move. Once that happened, it just kind of pulled right on out! I’m so glad that I pushed through and continued on to the end to accomplish this.

I hope that this gives someone else encouragement that may be struggling with this…as is usually said (and it is SO true)…if I can do it, anyone can!!

mmbayles91
    Participant

I am about to start my period any day now, and I am seriously so excited/ nervous to do this. But will keep you updated.. Thank you for the post 🙂

K Howard
    Participant

You’re welcome and I wish you all the best mmbayles91…I know that you will come through this just fine! Keep us posted!

mmbayles91
    Participant

I DID IT 🙂

Heather34
    Participant

CONGRATULATIONS Karla and mmbayles! This is another huge step and accomplishment post-procedure and I’m so, so happy for you. If you don’t mind me asking, which brands did you use? Knowing the different types available and which you suggest as being the most comfortable would be super helpful for the ladies who will be trying this out for the first time. I’ve used Tampax Pearl Lite and have found them to be very, very comfortable.

Lou
    Participant

Congratulations! Doesn’t it feel liberating to know you’ll be able to use tampons if you need to? They’ll get easier to use each time. I use tampax compak as I prefer the plastic applicators to the cardboard ones.

K Howard
    Participant

Congratulations mmbayles! I knew you could do it!!!

Thank you Heather! I’m actually not sure what brand it was that I had. This was kind of a spur of the moment thing for me and these tampons had been taken out of the box for some time and they were just in the plastic wrapper in another box that I had tucked away lol. The plastic wrapper didn’t have what brand they were which is kind of sad as once it was in, it was pretty comfortable. I will seek to buy some more and let you guys know what I find to be the best for me.

Thank you Lou! Yes, it is very liberating to know that if I need to/want to, I am finally able to do it!! I just think about countless times in the past where this would have come in handy but better late than never. I agree with liking the plastic vs. cardboard applicators. I remember being in my teens and early twenties and trying cardboard ones which I didn’t like at all.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.