Pregnancy with Vaginismus ????

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Pregnancy with Vaginismus ????

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pianochica
    Participant

I have pretty severe vaginismus – I was one of Dr. Pacik’s 10%… I watched another woman succeed amazingly with the procedure, it just wasn’t enough for me. So pelvic exams are still entirely impossible and intercourse is extremely difficult and most often quite painful when it actually happens which isn’t often at all. But by a miracle, we finally managed to get pregnant!!

But now, how does this work with vaginismus?? I read somewhere that vaginismus won’t affect the actual delivery of the baby – or rather that the muscles won’t spaz on a baby coming out the way they do with something coming in. However, the one doctor I’ve seen so far said she doesn’t feel comfortable delivering without being able to do a pelvic exam… So what am I supposed to do? Has anyone else had a baby who can’t have pelvic exams done??

I’m going to try a birthing center with Certified Nurse Midwives, but I’m worried about how the delivery will go since no one can (or thus far, has been able) to do an exam so how can they tell how dilated I am, etc.? Hopefully they have better news than this last doctor….

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Are you still using dilators? If you are and able to dilate to a large dilator this will make a GYN exam much easier. The problem that you are encountering is severe residual anxiety which I remember from the time of your treatment. Patients make progress more quickly with dilators and take longer to come around emotionally. The culprit here is residual anxiety which for some is difficult to overcome. Having the support of a therapist can be very helpful.
    This is an important topic and I would love to hear from some of our other patients how they dealt with this issue.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi pianochica. First off, huge congratulations on your pregnancy. This is wonderful news. My hubby and I welcomed our little boy on 5/7/15 and he is such a joy. I am so sorry for what you have experienced with past Doctors and I hope and pray that the Birthing Center with midwives will be better.

I wanted to share an excellent post with you from a woman who was pregnant with vaginismus: “I have vaginusmus too and pregnant with my second. I found a doctor that is knowledgeable about this. If you can’t I suggest to take some medical articles to the doctor. I have had biofeedback therapy to overcome this. Check if your hospital does that. My first was a c section because of the anxiety issues I was having. Insurance covered it. My doctor uses a lidocaine gel for Pap smears and they are doable. She also uses a baby speculum and let’s me insert it myself. I did all of my swabs myself. The doctor instructed me how to do it. The was no internal testing during my pregnancy, only before and after. I inserted the vaginal ultrasound thing myself. Once inside the doctor was able to direct it. There are pelvic pain clinics in most big hospitals that can help you with this. Talk to your doctor if she is not familiar with the condition.” http://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12005397/possibly-tmi-i-have-vaginismus-i-m-terrified-of-my-prenatal-appointment

Furthermore, there is a great thread on our Forum concerning Pregnancy and Exams and Ultrasounds:
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/support/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=293.0

There are two additional excellent threads concerning Vaginismus and Pregnancy:
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/support/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=853
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/support/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=625

I hope this helps and am here for you always. Sending big hugs!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.