Pain at the tip of dilator?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Pain at the tip of dilator?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly
    Participant

Hello everyone! I finally had my procedure done on the 26th! So exciting 😀

I have been dilating of course, and hitting a few bumps in the road, but in general its been going pretty well. Although I was curious if anybody else has experienced this sensation I keep getting: almost every time I dilate (I’ve been using the Pure Romance #3 the most, as this is my first week and I want to get comfortable) I can easily insert the dilator in about 30 seconds. But then when Im sitting a certain way or even just slightly moving in any way, I feel this poking pain at the top of the dilator. Its almost like its too high up and hitting something painful inside of me. But that cant be because it is only the #3. I dont know the anatomy down there too well so I’m not sure if its hitting something in particular, or if the area is just generally really sensitive.

I’m trying not to get too nervous, but it concerns me a little because if I feel that way with the #3 then I imagine it will be even worse with the #4 and #5. Any advice from anyone would be awesome!

(P.S. – I am supposed to be getting my period any day now, does that maybe have something to do with it? Is everything down there a little more more sensitive around that time?)

Thanks!
    Kim

ceegee
    Participant

Hey Kim! Congrats on having the procedure finished and behind you! It’s DEFINITELY more sensitive around period time, so don’t stress. Also, I totally know the feeling you’re referring to, and I assure you that even though it feels a bit painful/irritating/uncomfortable, it’s completely fine and not hitting anything. That’s honestly just the way it feels when you’re sitting and moving around a bit, it definitely feels like it’s poking your cervix – it does get better but feels that way with every size, but don’t worry, it’s normal!

The first few weeks are full of all kinds of new and kind of weird sensations, and I promise once you get a month in you’ll be much more familiar and comfortable with everything. You will also surprise yourself as you advance. I know it seems crazy that the 4, 5, and 6 can fit up there but they do and it’s fine! 🙂 Every time I went up a size, I literally thought “No way, there is absolutely no way this can fit inside me” – and not only was I wrong but after getting used to them I now see the 4 and 5 as pretty small! In my head they looked/seemed enormous but over time I allowed my body to acclimate. I am sitting here with the #6 in right now pain free and honestly there were times I really doubted I’d get here.

And I’m only 46 days post-op! So hopefully that is some encouragement for you. Move at your own pace and do what works best for you in your body’s timing. You’re doing awesome!

ceegee
    Participant

Also to clarify, I shouldn’t say that it’s not touching the cervix AT ALL – I’m sure it is a little bit, but nothing to worry about. You’re sitting directly on it so it’s not the most comfy. I try to minimize how much I move around. I’ve also noticed that the poking is more prominent when I’m tense/leg locked, and I don’t even realize it. Take note of your relaxation level when you’re sitting still and try to breathe, relax and unclench your butt/legs/thighs etc – I’ll bet you notice a difference!

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi ceegee, thank you so much for your response!

It really helped put my nerves at ease. It always helps me to know that what I’m feeling is not uncommon and that other people have experienced it. I had guessed that maybe it had something to do with my period. I started it today as I expected. This is the first time having my period since the procedure so I’m trying to decide if I should keep dilating or not because it makes me nervous for some reason. I think I’m just going to try to pretend I’m not even on my period and see how things feel.

There are definitely all sorts of weird feelings and pokes and pains while dilating, but none of them come close to the burning hopeless feeling I had before. So I’m just excited I can be dilating at all. My goal is just to try to get completely used to #3, then move up to #4, and so on.

Btw congrats on how far you’ve come and all you’ve accomplished! That must be so exciting. I can’t wait until I can say the same. Lots to look forward to! 😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.