My Procedure

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    hoorayitsamanda
    Participant

I think the most terrifying thing for women coming in for treatment is the idea of dilating post procedure. This seems to be more upsetting than the thought of having intercourse some day. Usually three patients are treated the same day. Most are able to wake up with a large dilator in place and most can easily be discharged from the clinic with a medium #4 dilator which is maintained over night. This is where any similarity between patients ends. The following morning patients are asked to advance to the #5 dilator. Many are able to do this, some can’t and some need to regress to the #3 or smaller. As Amanda mentioned there is no pressure, only support. I have no concerns regarding a patients progress, because everyone has the chance to be successful given a long enough time period. In my world every woman is a champion because they are trying. Dilation to the larger sizes can be quick, for others it can take a month. Intercourse is achieved within a week or two for some, for others it can take months or even a year or more. As long as dilation continues it makes no difference if the goals are achieved while the Botox is active (4 months) or if it is no longer active.
    Thanks Amanda for this important post. Perhaps some of our future patients will be less apprehensive as a result.

Leena
    Participant

Hi, Hoorayitsamanda. Thanks so much for your encouraging post. I am scheduled for my procedure on May 4th, so your words are particularly helpful to me. Were you scared to use the dilators before you had the procedure? You mention that you couldn’t even wear a small tampon previously without pain and discomfort. I’ve never even been able to insert anything at all. It sounds like you may be a bit braver than I am. Best wishes to you and your husband in your renewed life! Michele

hoorayitsamanda
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Leena on April 4, 2015, 07:53
    Hi, Hoorayitsamanda. Thanks so much for your encouraging post. I am scheduled for my procedure on May 4th, so your words are particularly helpful to me. Were you scared to use the dilators before you had the procedure? You mention that you couldn’t even wear a small tampon previously without pain and discomfort. I’ve never even been able to insert anything at all. It sounds like you may be a bit braver than I am. Best wishes to you and your husband in your renewed life! Michele

Hi there!! I’m so glad to hear you’re having the procedure done! I was definitely nervous about using the dilators. I tried tampons on several occasions and they were so uncomfortable that I couldn’t handle it. In the beginning, I was a wreck emotionally but after a while I got to the point where it was less emotional and just frustrating my body wasn’t working right. Dr Pacik and the staff will make you feel so comfortable and will not pressure you to do anything you don’t want to do or can’t — but I promise you will be so proud of yourself for the progress you will make! The #6 will be in you when you wake up and when you realize you’re not only able to have it in but also move it in and out of your body, it will blow your mind. As someone on the other side of the procedure, I promise you have nothing to fear. I’m so happy and proud of you – please let us know how it goes!!

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

I think the most terrifying thing for women coming in for treatment is the idea of dilating post procedure. This seems to be more upsetting than the thought of having intercourse some day. Usually three patients are treated the same day. Most are able to wake up with a large dilator in place and most can easily be discharged from the clinic with a medium #4 dilator which is maintained over night. This is where any similarity between patients ends. The following morning patients are asked to advance to the #5 dilator. Many are able to do this, some can’t and some need to regress to the #3 or smaller. As Amanda mentioned there is no pressure, only support. I have no concerns regarding a patients progress, because everyone has the chance to be successful given a long enough time period. In my world every woman is a champion because they are trying. Dilation to the larger sizes can be quick, for others it can take a month. Intercourse is achieved within a week or two for some, for others it can take months or even a year or more. As long as dilation continues it makes no difference if the goals are achieved while the Botox is active (4 months) or if it is no longer active.
    Thanks Amanda for this important post. Perhaps some of our future patients will be less apprehensive as a result.

Leena
    Participant

Thanks to both Amanda and Dr. Pacik for your support!

Heather34
    Participant

Hi all. Amanda, huge Congrats on your recent procedure. I am so, so, so very happy for you and your hubby! Michelle, I, too, felt so similar to you with regards to using the dilators prior to my June procedure. I had never been successful with inserting a thing in my life. I tried to use this workbook and hard plastic dilators and it just didn’t happen. I couldn’t even insert one of the tiny slim ones. With every single try, it felt like I was hitting a brick wall. Out of everything pre-procedure, I was most scared about the dilating. Despite this fear and with the hubby’s support and reassurance, I had the procedure and then was able to dilate post-procedure. I think what helped it to work so much for me was that the stubborn muscles that were always in the way (i.e. the wall of resistance) was not there anymore. Also, by waking up with a dilator in place, I mentally knew this was possible and something could be inside of me and it did not hurt. Then, it helped so much for me to have handles on the dilators and to very liberally use the surgilube/lidocaine combo of lubricant on the dilators. Another thing that helped beyond words was the support we received from Dr. Pacik and all of the staff as well as my roomie who was also having the procedure on the same day. This was truly invaluable. Sending you support and hugs today!!

Leena
    Participant

Thanks so much, Heather! As always, your words are a great source of comfort and a great help to me.

hoorayitsamanda
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Leena on April 4, 2015, 07:53

Michele, I know it’s a couple days before but you’ve been on my mind and heart! I’m thinking of you as these next few days may be filled with uncertainty and trepidation. I know that everything is going to be so amazing for you and I promise you will feel like a new person!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.