Leaving the House

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Leaving the House

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    K Howard
    Participant

Well, here I am…sitting in the car in front of the bookstore waiting for my husband to get off work so we can go inside. I normally get home a few hours before my husband each day. Normally I begin dilating with the glass #5 once I get home because I don’t have time in the morning to do my one hour so I end up doing the 2 hours after work and then generally follow up with 1 hour with the glass #6. I’ve progressed to being able to do things around the house with them in like cooking, laundry or just simply sitting on the couch watching TV or being on the computer just fine. Today I decided to branch out and challenge myself to drive to the bookstore. So far so good. The drive itself wasn’t bad and I think I may actually feel better once inside and walking around. I remember a prior post about shopping with a dilator in and it blew me away! I thought to myself that I would never be able to do that – never say NEVER!! Anyone else been outside and doing things while dilating? How did you feel? What did you wear (I have on jeans and my boy shorts underneath)?

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

You are truly a hero. You are willing to push yourself to new heights whether doing mirror exercises or shopping with dilators!

K Howard
    Participant

Thanks Dr. Pacik!

Heather34
    Participant

This is a great post Karla and it’s so wonderful that you continue to challenge yourself and I’m proud of you for this. I remember the “shopping while dilating” post too and loved it. During my dilating time, I only used the pure romance dilators as the glass ones were not available yet. My experiences included driving with them in (pink or blue) which took quite a bit of maneuvering/positioning/sitting sideways but I definitely made it work. Now, the only time I dilate is for about an hour prior to ob/gyn exams and tests and I always, always use the glass dilators and love them. I find them to be so much more comfortable than the pure romance ones in all regards and also wear tight boy shorts with them to make sure that they don’t fall out. And, driving and walking is so much easier and more comfortable with the glass ones as well. I would honestly strongly recommend them to everyone reading this and think they were a great, great addition to the program.

K Howard
    Participant

Thank you Heather! Yes, I did do a little bit of maneuvering/positioning when I was driving and can imagine I would have needed to do much more with the pure romance set as they stick out a bit far on me (especially the pink/blue). All in all, I’m glad I did it 🙂 I agree with you 100% about the glass dilators being a great addition to the program! They are definitely comfortable and allows for easy movement.

coffee
    Participant

Thanks for the advice. I will try that!!

K Howard
    Participant

Great Coffee!

Vashalla
    Participant

I may actually try this tonight. My boyfriend and I need to go grocery shopping, and I feel like I can walk comfortably and normally enough with the #4 and #5 glass dilators to go out with them in. Might even be kind of exciting in a way! I think I’ll have him drive this first time though 😉

Nakitalab
    Participant

I drove with #6 in today to my GYN appointment (about a hour an hour drive). I was surprised to find that it wasn’t that uncomfortable and definitely something I can get used to. :0)

Heather34
    Participant

Go Vashalla Go! This is great! Definitely wear the tight panties or liners to prevent it from slipping out and let us know how it goes. Nakitalab, is there any position that you find more comfortable to use while driving and dilating? I’ve always kind of sat on my right side which is a little awkward. I wonder if anyone has tried anything else while sitting and driving with the dilators in place?

Vashalla
    Participant

Whew, bit of a mixed bag tonight with my experiment. I had my boyfriend drive, but the car ride was a little nerve wracking. I just could not find a good position to sit in, and couldn’t relax my legs because it was too uncomfortable to do so. It didn’t hurt, fortunately, but the trip over was not pleasant. I wonder if it’s partly because I’m short, and my legs are just at a bad angle when my feet are on the floorboard? Or maybe I just need more time. Not really sure. Walking around the grocery store was fine, if a little slower than usual. On the way back, I kicked off my shoes and sat with my legs under me and the seat reclined back a little bit. That was way more comfortable for the dilator, but not so comfortable for my legs. Definitely can’t sit like that for very long without hurting my knees and ankles.

Sitting like that did give me an idea that I’ll be experimenting with. I’ll post more details about my new experiment if it’s successful…

Heather34
    Participant

This is a great post Vashalla and it sounds like the experiment seemed to go well. I think if you ever dilate in the car again, try sitting on your right side a bit and, like you said, reclining the seat to be more in a lying down position. This may help. It sounded like the shopping part and walking around while dilating went great, which is a HUGE accomplishment. Keep up the great work!!!!

Nakitalab
    Participant

For me it wasn’t so much the position as it was wearing tight undies, a panty liner and tighter fitting jeans.

Vashalla
    Participant

yeah, I tried sitting on my right side, on my left side, reclining the seat, and anything else I could think of. The only thing that was really comfortable for the dilator was sitting with my legs tucked under me, and that’s a) not practical for me driving (I wasn’t of course) and b) not comfortable for my knees or ankles. I was thinking of getting a pair of the spanx underwear that I’ve heard of so I could compare it to my current method. I know they’ve got a website, but does anyone know if there’s a place I could go to buy those? There’s also so many different kinds on the spanx website, so I’m not sure which one(s) people are really referring to as being helpful.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Vashalla. I haven’t used the Spanx but have heard great things about them. I found an article that talks about all of the retail stores to buy them, including: Bloomingdales, Macy’s, Nordstrom, etc.:

http://voices.yahoo.com/where-to-buy-spanx-dos-donts-shapewear-692403.html?cat=51

Has anyone else used them and do you have advice on wear you purchased them?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.