Introduction – botox procedure scheduled Sept 2013

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Introduction – botox procedure scheduled Sept 2013

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Nicole A
    Participant

Hello, hello.

I’m new to participating in this forum and just wanted to introduce myself. I’ve been reading through messages on here as I tend to be a researcher =) I’m having the Botox procedure with Dr. Pacik in September 2013 and I’m so very excited 😀 . I’m 28 and have been unable to have penetrative sex with my husband of 3 years. None of my friends or family (nope, not even my mom) know about my disorder as I’m incredibly embarrassed by it. I’ve worked with a Physical Therapist who specialized in pelvic floor disorders. Although that was somewhat helpful, ultimately I’m still incredibly anxious 😯 when it comes to penetration and I haven’t made the progress I need to make.

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Nicole, I’m so glad that you found Dr. Pacik and this Forum. You no longer have to feel embarrassed as most of us have been or are experiencing the same pain and frustration of Vaginismus as you. I am 52 years old, married 32 years and suffered with this condition for most of my teen/adult life. Like you I felt so alone until I found this website and Forum. I had my procedure October of last year and I’m so happy to say that I am able to have pain-free intercourse with my husband now. It is still so hard to believe. Please know Dr. Pacik and his team are the most empathetic, compassionate professionals you will ever meet. As well you have all of us here on the Forum who are in your corner, cheering you on and here for you every step of the way. Again, I’m so happy that you are having the procedure in September! Please know that we are all here for you and hope you will feel comfortable asking questions and sharing.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Nicole. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. I am so very sorry for your struggles with vaginismus and am so happy and excited for you to have the procedure coming up in September. I know it will go so well for you. I, too, did not share my condition in the past with anyone other than my husband and the few doctors we saw. It was just so hard for me to say out loud and I, too, was so embarrassed and shy about it. Still, even after being cured, I have only shared about my past struggles with my 3 closest friends. Please know that I am here for you 100% as we all are. It truly is a wonderful community of support that we have here and I thank Dr. Pacik so much for it. Looking back on my procedure, there were so many things that made this work when everything else that I had tried in the past didn’t. One of the most important parts that both my husband and I found is that the normal resistance that we always experienced when trying to insert anything (i.e. the dilators, him) was gone. This made being able to insert the dilators possible when I never thought it would work pre-procedure. I very liberally coated the silicone dilators with lidocaine/surgi-lube combo and my hubby was beside me and even participated as I inserted, removed, and re-inserted the dilators, all pain-free b/c, again, the resistance (“great wall” as he called it) was not there anymore which made insertion possible. Thereafter, we practiced the same way with the dilators at home and had intercourse on day 7 post-procedure, again without him hitting the “great wall” and me telling him to stop or saying “ow, ow, ow, ow” like I had always done in the past with even the slightest attempt. Again, please know that I am here for you always and know that you will do so great coming up in September!!! Sending hugs!!!

Nicole A
    Participant

Thank you Nakita and Heather for your kind words and support. Your responses are so encouraging to me! There are times when I get so down on myself and so upset because of this whole thing. I really needed to read this right now, so thank you so much.

bubbly77
    Participant

Dear Nakita,
    did they give you any pictures or diagrams to show you how to insert the dilators?
    What time was your procedure scheduled for?
    Did you stay 2 or 3 days?
    What happened on visit 2 and 3?
    Sincerely,
    Bubbly

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi bubbly77, no I didn’t have any diagrams or pictures on how to dilate, but you wake up with the dilator already in you which is such an amazing accomplishment. That first day you will spend all day removing and inserting the dilators so you will become really familiar with your body and how to insert the dilators. You will have your own personal nurse who is there to encourage, support and help you in any way need. I was scheduled first thing in the morning and stayed in NH 3 days. At the end of the first day my sister and I took a drive to the beach as it was a gorgeous day. It was extremely awkward sitting and walking but we weren’t out for very long. That night I slept with the smallest dilator in me (Dr. Pacik and his team will go through all of that with you). The 2nd day we practiced dilating again as well as spent time, talking, sharing, counseling with Dr. Pacik, Ellen and Allie (who had her procedure the same day) along with her husband. It was a very special time together. It seems like we finished up around noonish and then my sister and I went sightseeing again. On the third day it was optional if you wanted to go back to the office. At that point I felt confident about the dilating program and my sister and I decided to spend the day site seeing Harvard. Being from the Pacific coast and Arizona we really wanted to explore all that we could. My husband wasn’t able to travel back with me and I was so fortunate to have my younger sister go with me who had all suffered from Vaginismus at one point in her life. I’m so excited for you. Please know that I’m here for you. Feel free to ask as many questions as you need to. No question is too silly or dumb. For me the Forum has been a huge part of my healing process. You are in my prayers and I look forward to hearing how you are doing!

Heather34
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Nicole A on August 18, 2013, 23:00
    Thank you Nakita and Heather for your kind words and support. Your responses are so encouraging to me! There are times when I get so down on myself and so upset because of this whole thing. I really needed to read this right now, so thank you so much.

Hi Nicole. Just wanted to let you know we are all here for you and everything is going to go great with your upcoming procedure in September. Do you have any pre-procedure questions? Please feel free to ask anything at all as we have all been right where you are and we are all here for you!!! Sending hugs!!!

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Nicole. I just wanted to check in with you and let you know that we’re all thinking of you and we’re all here to support you. I promise you that your time in NH and the procedure will go very, very well. You will find Dr. Pacik and Ellen and Janet and all of the staff to be incredibly warm, comforting, accommodating, so supportive, and most importantly, so knowledgeable about every single aspect of the condition. As for what to wear, I would recommend wearing comfortable clothes while at the office (i.e. yoga pants, comfortable shirts). And, while in NH, I would definitely recommend wearing warm fall jackets (not winter just yet) but warm enough for the high 40s/low 50s in the morning and then mid 60s/low 70s in the afternoon. I cannot wait for you to see how beautiful it is up there and the leaves are just now beginning to change. Sending positive thoughts your way!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.