How far do you push in the larger dilators?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating How far do you push in the larger dilators?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. A common question that comes up post-procedure is how far do you push in the larger dilators? Dr. Pacik has commented with the following answer concerning the “pure romance” larger dilators:

“The pink #5 Pure Romance dilator is about an inch too long, and the large blue #6 of 6 is about 2 inches too long. The full length of the dilator hits the cervix which is not needed and is uncomfortable. Most patients treated for vaginismus have spasm of the entry muscle. The other muscles do not demonstrate this severe spasm. When pushing in the dilator, if this is done slowly, and the Botox is not yet fully effective in the early aspects of treatment, one should notice resistance as the dilator is stretching the entry muscle. Once this muscle is passed, it is common to notice that the dilator suddenly “falls in” as there is no longer resistance higher up. When one is sensitive to this, it is easier to appreciate how far the dilator needs to be inserted.”

I then replied with the following:

“You also wrote ‘once [the entry] muscle is passed, it is common to notice that the dilator suddenly ‘falls in’ as there is no longer resistance higher up.’ In the beginning of dilating right after the procedure, I was very surprised by this. I noticed that I had to push a little to get the pink and blue dilators in and then they just slipped right in with no resistance. I had a common fear of being ripped and felt queasy with the idea of pushing the entry muscles. The thing that really worked well to get me through this was to liberally use a ton of lubricant and practice inserting and re-inserting (i.e. working out these entry muscles). For those who are just starting, it gets so, so much better in time and does become part of your daily routine. And, every single day is different. I found that if the pink or blue dilator felt uncomfortable on one day, on the very next day that I tried, it went right in and was comfortable. It’s a process ladies but the end result is the best thing in the entire world and entirely worth it!!!!”

What has been your own experience with inserting the larger dilators? Do you have any helpful tips for future patients who may be reading this?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.