Fact or Fiction? Debunking Some Vaginismus Myths

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Fact or Fiction? Debunking Some Vaginismus Myths

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi all! There is an excellent new Blog posted: Fact or Fiction? Debunking Some Vaginismus Myths

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/fact-fiction-debunking-vaginismus-myths/

Excerpts from the Blog include:

“Let’s take a look at some common “facts” about vaginismus and separate the fact from the fiction.

1. Vaginismus will just go away without any treatment. Myth! Vaginismus treatment is the only way to experience pain-free penetration. You don’t have to accept a life feeling locked out.

2. Vaginismus can happen to women of any age. Truth! In fact, it’s one of the most treatable sexual pain disorders. Once treated, it very rarely results in a recurrence.

3. My partner is just “too big.” Myth! Having a well-endowed partner has absolutely nothing to do with your vaginismus symptoms. Your vaginal muscles are tightening up, so there isn’t room for anything – especially a larger partner.

4. Pain during sex is normal. Myth! Sex is definitely not supposed to hurt. It’s one of the few things in life that is always supposed to feel good. Don’t settle for anything less.”

These are some of the common myths and truths about the condition of vaginismus. In looking at 1-4, what have been your own experiences with these myths and truths?

survivor
    Participant

#1—absolutely true that it’s a myth. Don’t waste time like I did.
    #2—if you don’t have plenty of $$$ treatment is still pretty unreachable for this awful affliction. It’s NOT fair!!!!!!!!!
    #3 — huge myth. Therapy with a PT helped me see this. Weekly therapy.
    #4—don’t cheat yourself. Get help. I did. Even though in still not cured I feel SO much better having had some physical therapy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.