Extreme sensitivity around menstrual period

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Extreme sensitivity around menstrual period

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jessbee
    Participant

Does everyone else have extreme sensitivity during dilating around the time of menstruation? I just had my procedure one week ago,and I had been dilating fine with little to no pain until today that I had sharp burning pain. I was able to get the #4 in all the way but it took some time, kegals, and a lot of deep breathing. Halfway in i thought it wasn’t going in any further but it did. If I have any pain it usually subsides right away but today i still feel a piercing feeling that’s very uncomfortable. So is menstruation to blame for this? I’m a little concerned. It feels as if someone is pushing on a wound..don’t know if its still soreness from the injection site?

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Yes, it is common for the tissues to be sensitive during menses, so much so, that some have to do minimal to no dilating during this time. The first time this happens women worry that they are regressing, but this is normal. Just back off for a few days and use the smaller dilators during this time. I would love to hear more from our dilating divas how this time period is managed.
    Please give us a follow up after you have finished your cycle.

Becca
    Participant

Jessbee, I had the EXACT same experience. I thought something was really wrong, apparently I am just SUPER sensitive while on my cycle, I just never realized since I had never had anything inserted in my vagina during that time of the month before. I discovered that this is my normal, and the week and a half surrounding my period (couple days before, during and couple days after) is really hard and painful for me to dilate or have anything in my vagina, but then after that I can go right back to dilating easily and mostly pain-free. I’m hoping that is all this is for you. If it still seems to be bothering you after your cycle, then I would suggest maybe getting checked for a UTI, as I had one of those a couple months ago and it made it very painful to use my dilators or try to insert my husband as well. But, seriously, sounds exactly like my experience, so I think you will be alright! As Dr. P told me when I went through this, don’t be afraid to quit dilating for a few days (or even a week) if you need to, your body will adjust back to the dilators when your cycle is over. 🙂 Hope this helps!

Yes it is common many of them experience it.

mazemelissa

Many of my patients find dilation around their periods is more uncomfortable. I suggest not dilating during the heaviest of flow, and then restarting with smaller dilators. Hormonal fluctuations around your cycle can effect the tissue of the vagina, so don’t feel discouraged if you find dilation changes for you depending on where you are in your cycle.

mazemelissa

Many of my patients find dilation around their periods is more uncomfortable. I suggest not dilating during the heaviest of flow, and then restarting with smaller dilators. Hormonal fluctuations around your cycle can effect the tissue of the vagina, so don’t feel discouraged if you find dilation changes for you depending on where you are in your cycle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.