Dilating after botox

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Dilating after botox

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Yami1234
    Participant

Hi I’ve been married for 4 years and haven’t been able to habe sed due to vaginismus, I read the book and got excited about Botox as a solution, since I live in Uruguay going to the US was difficult so I looked for a clinic in the area and found one in argentina I went in 3 days ago and got the Botox injections but no further help, I though not it would be easy to dilate but I tried last night with the smallest one and was not successful it still seemed exrtremely difficult, I’m so disappointed I need help I don’t know what else to do.

Sks823
    Participant

Yami1234,

I wasn’t able to insert dilators on my own either which is how I found Maze Women’s Sexual Health. They helped teach me how to use the dilators and (after not being able to use tampons) I eventually “graduated” and was able to go through all of the dilator sizes! I’m sorry that your clinic did not give you further help after the procedure.

Are there any (other) women’s health centers that you may be able to go to for some help with the dilators? Or can you call that clinic and see if they have physical therapists or someone that can help you with the dilators?

You may only need to get help once or twice – once someone shows you how to put in the dilator and helps you put it in (or puts it in for you), it gives you the confidence that it DOES fit, your vagina IS able to be penetrated – which helps a lot with confidence in dilating. I have read that the during the botox procedure they should insert a dilator which, again, helps you realize that your body IS capable of it.

Here’s a good thread with tips on dilating – using coconut oil as lube helped me a lot (do you have a good lube?):
    http://mazewomenshealth.com/forums/topic/tips-on-starting-dilating/

Are you able to use a tampon or insert anything at all (some people suggest starting with a qtip or your finger first)?

Please keep us updated – I know you can get through this, it just may take a bit of outside help with the dilators!

mazemelissa

Hi Yami,

Welcome to the forum.

First off, botox takes a few days to start working, and does not have maximum effect until two weeks. So you are still very early in treatment.

It could just get easier, as the botox starts working more.

You should also consider finding a physical therapist to help you with the first insertion of the dilators.

We have found in our experience that just botox injections alone are often not as effective if someone does not insert the first dilator under anesthesia for you.

So many patients need help with insertion of the first dilator. It is not easy for someone with vaginismus to insert the first dilator on their own, especially when they are anxious and afraid of penetration. This is why we insert the dilator under anesthesia, so the patient wakes up with the dilator already inside.

I would not give up hope, the botox is in the muscles, and will start working soon. If you can get over that hurdle of putting that first dilator inside, it will get easier.

Melissa

Yami1234
    Participant

Hi Melissa,

Thank you for your response and encouragement, I was looking at the post on dilating I have this dilators https://www.amazon.es/gp/aw/d/B00EUZYON0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅZÕÑ&qid=1521642770&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=vaginal+dilator&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZbWQvH%2B4L&ref=plSrch

Would you advise purchasing the ones recomented on the post? Do you think that would make it easier to start using them, I still haven’t been able to use the smallest one.

I aphresiate your guidance.

Sks823
    Participant

Putting in dilators for the first time yourself is a bit difficult, and like Melissa said, if you can get over that “hurdle” it will get much easier! If you’ve never worn tampons or anything, it may be difficult to even know how to put it in – this doesn’t mean the botox isn’t working! If you’re still having issues with the dilators you bought, it may be worth it to go back to the clinic you went to for botox (they should be asking for a follow-up appointment anyway!) and bring the dilators and ask them for help putting in the dilators/ask to show you how.

Also, don’t forget lube and be persistent with your attempts – you CAN do this!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.