Different types of dilators

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Different types of dilators

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Lifi
    Participant

Hello ladies,

I wanted to share with you some of my experiences with dilation. I started with the plastic ones from vaginismus.com. I thought they were really fine and helpful actually. But I also wanted to try Dr Pacik’s recommendation of the Pure Romance line. And I must say, it is much more comfortable!

With the plastic ones, I needed to dilate with 1 before advancing to 2. With the silicone ones (purple corresponds to #2; pink to #3; and blue to #4), I can start right away with the purple. I only feel it trying to get in, but once it’s in, it’s so comfortable that I am not entirely sure it is actually in! So I have to pul it out a little and see.

Have you tried both? which ones do you use and what has been your experience?

Lifi
    Participant

I should add, that the new dilators are great, but I do find the rim (what helps it stand) to be quite painful at night because it digs into my thighs.. do you find that too?

Also a tip I picked up is that sometimes, if you put in the dilator and it feels a bit painful, it helps to take it out, relube and put it back in. I did that a couple of times and it was much better the second time!

Lou
    Participant

I agree with you about the rim! I guess it kind of helps with insertion as it gives you something to hold but I’ve found it digs into my thighs too. I’m so glad it’s not just me who has felt that! Sometimes I sleep with a pillow / cushion between my legs to stop the rim pressing so hard against my legs.
    I too have the plastic ones from vaginismus.com but have found the pure romance ones easier & less daunting. I haven’t actually tried the plastic ones since the procedure, I’ll have to try them again and see if I still feel the same.

Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. I was always afraid of the hard plastic ones from vag.com. I find the pure romance ones to be so comfortable and I really like the different colors. I, too, have found that the rim does hurt your thighs though. I wore the pink one for a couple of hours prior to my ob/gyn exam and driving and walking with it became very uncomfortable b/c of the rim/thigh thing. I do, however, like the rim for insertion and the vag.com ones don’t have this. Has anyone tried the glass dilators yet? I’m curious to know if they feel a lot different than vag.com or pure romance?

Lifi
    Participant

When I sleep, I use the material from my pants to cushion around the room so it doesn’t dig into my thighs.. hope it works for you!

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

Within the next one to two weeks, I should be receiving a steady supply of the new glass dilators. They are made of tempered glass so will not shatter. Routine care is needed so they do not get scratched. They are made by a local glass artist and at the moment demand exceeds supply. If you want to order these, please contact Sue or Lisa at my office, The cost is $160 for a set of the three larger sizes which would be equivalent to purple #3, pink, #5 and blue #6 of 6. They are half the length of the pure romance dilators and appear to be more comfortable. There is no disc, so there is nothing that cuts into the thighs.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.