Daily Question (1/26/12) – What is it like to meet the other patients on procedure day?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Daily Question (1/26/12) – What is it like to meet the other patients on procedure day?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. I remember having several anxieties pre-procedure and one included meeting and talking to other vaginsimus patients who were having their procedure done on the same day. I remember my hubby being very apprehensive and shy about the thoughts of this as well. We had both kept vaginismus to ourselves for so long and hadn’t even told our closest family and friends. How were we supposed to suddenly talk openly about something that we had kept so secret and hidden for our entire relationship and marriage? I couldn’t have been more wrong about how great and beneficial the experience of meeting another vaginismus patient was for me those 2 days. On day 1, the 4 of us met and all talked openly to each other. Then, on day 2, during “dilator bootcamp”, my roomie and I talked the entire time. This helped so, so much to distract ourselves from the actual act of dilating and it was very nice for me to finally be able to talk openly to another person who also had vaginismus. And, she was one of the nicest women that I’ve ever met. Following our procedures and dilating, we exchanged e-mail addresses and have kept in touch. So, again, my pre-procedure thoughts about this couldn’t have been more wrong and it was a truly wonderful and very beneficial experience that we both shared together. Ladies, what have been your experiences with meeting other patients on the procedure day?

Lou
    Participant

I was nervous about meeting others too. But once we were there, it was a huge relief & made me feel more “normal” if that makes sense? So many of the doctors, nurses, therapists etc I went to see made me feel a bit of a freak & oddball. They didn’t seem to have other patients with vaginismus & they didn’t know how to treat me – it made me feel very alone. On the day of the procedure, being able to talk to someone who was feeling the same as me was reassuring and when I had my “wobbles” it was good to have someone in the same position.

Alyx
    Participant

I was absolutely petrified to meet the other 2 ladies who were there on the day of the procedure. Matter of fact, I cant speak for them, but while in the waiting room no one said a word. I didn’t even know they were there for the same procedure at the time. Even when Dr. Pacik opened the curtains I was still very, very apprehensive… I’m an extremely private person not to mention the solitude that accompanies Vaginismus ya know? & then it happened… as the days progressed everyone became more comfortable with the open curtain and began responded to the questions much more openly and honestly. Then one day we went with another couple to get luch because neither of us had rented cars. We walked to a pizza place down the street and had a GREAT lunch together. I still keep in contact with her and definitely call her a friend. Come to find out we really related to each other. It’s funny now to think of that day because the husbands were talking to one another in very generalized conversations while she and I sound like two gossiping middle school girls or something LOL! We also ended up riding along with the second couple on the final day. She and I text one another every once in a while. Then there’s also the girl Dr. Pacik had to email me prior to my procedure! She is great!! She is definitely my buddy and true friend. I was sooo afraid to talk to her at first and now I can’t see not knowing her. Even my husband knows her by name now because we’re always communicating and yet have never met face to face! On the day of my procedure I actually got soo nervous I snuck into the restroom and called her!! I left her a msg saying “OMG, I’m freaking out!!” lol… I can laugh now but point is we developed a bond. We keep up with each other and encourage each other because we can relate. Just as with the other girls, we’ve each walked in each others shoes so we know the emotions that come along with it.

It’s okay to feel nervous, it’s normal, but contrary to what your emotions are telling you…these will be some of your best buddies. 🙂

salvarez91
    Participant

I just got the procedure 2-7-12. I was super nervous the day of the procedure, but to me, meeting the other ladies was what kept me happier. I was so excited that I was finally going to meet someone that was just like me. I was so happy that i no longer would feel alone like I had been feeling for the past two years. Right when we all where done with our procedure there was lots of laughter; about how everyone felt lost, etc. Everyone seemed to connect right away. The curtains where hardly ever closed unless we where about to dialate, even then, we would talk to each other and see how we where doing or make jokes about the size of the dilators. We even started naming them after famous people! haha. My boyfriend came with me, he was the only male there, you could imagine all the jokes he got. It was so much fun. This is such a wonderful program. I have now met the most wonderful ladies in my life, because of it. There’s nothing to be nervous about.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

We had a ball today! It was party time for the three ladies Maria, Monic and Stephanie and their supporting teams. We all learned from each other. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so much while doing my counseling. Today was truly a highlight. Many thanks to the “A team”.

Heather34
    Participant

@salvarez … CONGRATS on your procedure on 2/7. Super proud of you and it sounds like such a wonderful day!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Heather34
    Participant

@Alyx, you wrote “She is definitely my buddy and true friend. I was sooo afraid to talk to her at first and now I can’t see not knowing her. Even my husband knows her by name now because we’re always communicating and yet have never met face to face! On the day of my procedure I actually got soo nervous I snuck into the restroom and called her!! I left her a msg saying “OMG, I’m freaking out!!” lol… I can laugh now but point is we developed a bond. We keep up with each other and encourage each other because we can relate. Just as with the other girls, we’ve each walked in each others shoes so we know the emotions that come along with it.” I feel the exact same way Alyx and value your friendship very, very much!!! :):):):)

Heather34
    Participant

“I just got the procedure 2-7-12.” @salvarez … congrats again on your procedure on 2/7. Can you believe it will already be one week tomorrow? I wrote Monic in another post as well and said how much life changes for the better after this procedure. Amazing! As you just had your procedure last week, are there any tips that you could give for future patients that have their procedure in late February or early March??? Anything would be helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.