Catching up emotionally to where one is physically

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Tips for Future Vaginismus Patients Catching up emotionally to where one is physically

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

In a recent post, Bosox2004 asked an excellent pre-procedure question:

4. What if this DOES work for me physically but I can’t get past the mental issues I have that have been caused by this?

Dr. Pacik has written a lot on the benefits of post-procedure counseling. I would encourage you to read this excellent article:

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus/other-treatments/vaginismus-treatment-and-counselin/

Excerpts from the article include:

“Sexuality is central to one’s personal identity; pain of any kind experienced during sexuality affects self-identity. After physical pain has stopped and normal physiological function can begin, lack of positive sexual experience, self -esteem issues, and awkward or scary feelings inhibiting sexuality do not necessarily disappear along with the pain. Women with vaginismus and their partners often experience anxiety, depression, deep feelings of rejection, doubt in themselves and in the relationship, guilt, and lack of trust. A qualified sexuality counselor with additional current information on vaginismus treatment is very helpful to healing the woman, her partner, and their relationship…”

Dr. Pacik always states “you have to catch up emotionally to where you are physically.” Is there anything in particular that has helped you to do this that you could recommend to future patients reading this right now?

Nakitalab
    Participant

It has been a year since my procedure and I’m still a work in progress as far as catching up emotionally and I’m sure it is because I suffered with Vaginismus for so many years (32 plus years). I have found an awesome counselor for other areas of my life but am not comfortable talking about this topic with her. So I just take one day at a time, one foot in front of the other. :0)

Heather34
    Participant

You will get there Nakitalab and just like you are there for all of us, we too are all there for you as well. That is the wonderful part of the Forum. It truly is a wonderful community of support and we are all going on this journey together!!! Sending huge hugs!!!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.