Airport Travel

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    elaine0086
    Participant

So I think I have decided that I am going to make the trip to New Hampshire by car. It will be a 15 hour drive which I am not looking forward to but I can not process the embarrassment of going through security with the dilators. I think my face would turn beet red and I would make a run for it lol! Anyone else have this fear or embarrassment??? Am I being a big baby??

Allie
    Participant

Hi Elaine,

I didn’t have my dilators on the way to NH, but of course on the way home I did. I was SO nervous about going through security with them, but it was no big deal at all! I didn’t even have to take them out. Besides, you will never see those people again and who cares what they even think?! 🙂 I totally understand where you are coming from, but I would fly. I HATE being in the car for long trips! lol:)

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Elaine. I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you and know that everything is going to go so, so well for you with your upcoming procedure. There are a couple of threads that discuss this very concern – flying with dilators – that may be very helpful for you to read:

Airport Security/Dilators
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=359

Travel with Dilators
    http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-md-forum/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=93

I hope this helps and I can’t wait to read more of your posts. Hugs!!!

Janet Pacik
    Participant

Hi Elaine, Dr. Pacik also wrote a blog about airport security and dilators which you might enjoy reading. This blog dealt with “going home” with the vaginal dilators but I still think it is a worthwhile read for you.

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/dilators-and-airport-security-for-our-vaginismus-patients/

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Elaine, I totally understand your fear as I was really worried about flying home with the dilators. I packed the true romance dilators in my check in bag and I carried on the glass dilators that I purchased. Dr. Pacik gave us a letter that we could pack with our dilators that explained that they were a medical device. Several gals on the Forum told me that they didn’t have any trouble with security but I was still a nervous wreck but very thankful for the letter so that if they did go through my bags they could just read the letter. And they were right it was a piece of cake. I hate for you to have to drive 15 hours. That is a very long drive. I highly recommend that you reconsider flying but please know that I’m here for you either way and cheering you on!

elaine0086
    Participant

Thank you guys:) well I did it I booked our flight this afternoon. I’m still extremely nervous about coming home but knowing that many if you guys did it I know I can grin bare it also!!! So here goes nothing! I can’t believe in ten days I will be on a plane and coming home a new person. I still feel it is all just a dream. Well thank you all for the advice it helped a ton. Plus I think Mike is a little relieved that we won’t be stuck in a car for 15 hours there and back lol!

Nakitalab
    Participant

Elaine that is great news! Look at how much you have accomplished already! So proud of you as I totally understand your concerns and fears. You are doing so good and making huge strides on your journey of healing. So very happy for you! You are in my prayers. :0) Big hugs!

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

I have never had a patient become embarrassed about going through security with dilators. I do recommend that they go into the carryon luggage in case the regular luggage gets lost. This is something we discuss during the post procedure counseling. I look forward to meeting you and once again thank you for your meaningful posts.

elaine0086
    Participant

Thank you Dr. Pacik. I know I should not care what people think but putting my carry on bag through the machine and knowing what the person behind the screen is seeing makes me cringe! But Ill survive:) Looking forward to meeting you also. Thanks again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.