Should I skip using dilators before a smear test…??

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Should I skip using dilators before a smear test…??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bitesize
    Participant

I have a smear test booked for Monday – as my first smear test was abnormal I have them yearly. I’m trying not to worry too much about the actual test procedure as the last one I had worked ok….but I’ve heard that you shouldn’t have sex up to 48 hours beforehand. Would this apply to using the dilators too – should I skip them this weekend??

mmbayles91
    Participant

No, don’t skip the dilating! I have had no problem with dilating before my 1st smear, my doctor was completely fine with the use of dilating 🙂

Nakitalab
    Participant

Hi Bitesize. I agree with mmbayles91 and would not skip dilating. In fact I dilated extra long right before I went in for my exam just to make sure that I was able to have a successful exam. My nurse practitioner was totally ok with it and didn’t effect the tests at all.

Heather34
    Participant

I agree with mmbayles and Nakita here. I have never ever skipped dilating b/f an ob/gyn exam and I think this helps me both mentally and physically. By dilating in advance, I am physically stretched out and mentally, I know the dilator is much larger than the speculum and, thus, won’t hurt and I also get used to the feeling and know what it will feel like to have something inside of me, again, which is much, much smaller. Another great thing to know is that the actual test does not last long at all. In the states, mine have all been 5 minutes max, which was wonderful. Hope this helps.

Bitesize
    Participant

Thanks guys. I ended up not dilating the two nights before – purely because it was a busy weekend and I just didn’t have time! The exam went ok, but was a bit painful…. which I’m a little worried will make me regress. :/
    The doctor warned that I might experience bleeding yesterday and today, but I didn’t. Anyone know how soon it would be safe to use the dilators again??

mmbayles91
    Participant

You should be able to use them right away, no matter if you did bleed.. The amount of blood after a pap test is very little, and sometimes never even show… I didn’t bleed at all, but I know that when I was on my period I still dilated even if it was only for 10 minutes… everything helped!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.