Vaginismus and pregnancy

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure Vaginismus and pregnancy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SarahD
    Participant

Hi there
    I had the botox injections about 9 months ago and it has been life changing. I dilate 5 days a week to maintain the results. I do still experience some pain towards the end of sex if I have already had an organism and my husband thrusts more vigorously. We also can only do the missionary position as other positions are too difficult but overall the procedure has been a success to enable a healthy sex life.

I’m currently trying to get pregnant and looking for tips around the below:
    1. Are there any good pelvic floor exercises that are suitable when you have vaginismus? I don’t want to do anything that tightens the muscles again
    2. Will I be able to keep dilating through pregnancy? I wonder if it might get difficult the bigger I get
    3. Any tips to help my chances of a natural birth?

Thanks so much!

Heather
    Participant

Hi SarahD! CONGRATULATIONS on that BOTOX treatment!! It IS so life changing!! And CONGRATULATIONS on starting a family!! I too experienced pain during sex even after my procedure, but one day it did completely go away. I wouldn’t worry about that too much I feel like everyones body is different and some womem may take longer than others to fully heal. I was also limited to a few positions as the others were painful, but that too passed! Keeping up with dilating is so important and is key so awesome job!!!

I don’t have advice about birth, I’ve never experienced that myself BUT I do have some good tips on pelvic floor exercises. I think what’s really beneficial is stretching!! If you Google yoga stretches for pelvic floor muscles, you’ll see a lot of different poses and stretches to do and they work really well! If you are having a little pain during sex, you should stretch beforehand. It works wonders! Also, I don’t know if you are a gym goer or not, but a good leg workout helps to tire those muscles. Especially squats! I used to go to physical therapy and my therapist told me this! I hope this helps! 🙂

mazemelissa

Hi SarahD,

Congratulations on all your progress!!

It is safe to continue dilation throughout your pregnancy. As your belly gets bigger, finding a comfortable position for dilation might be a little more challenging. But you can always just have your partner insert the dilator for you, if reaching down and inserting yourself is difficult.

I have had some patients in the past have a few sessions with a pelvic floor physical therapist while pregnant to get specific exercises to help aid in a vaginal delivery, so you can look into that.

Strengthening abdominal muscles will be very helpful.

As well as learning good breathing techniques.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.