All Things DILATING (2)

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating All Things DILATING (2)

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    sryan32
    Participant

It looks like most of the posts in here are about dilating after the Botox procedure.
    I’m wondering about using dilators otherwise – just on a day-to-day basis, not as part of a post-Botox regimen.
    I have a set from vaginismus.com. At one time I had been able to insert the largest one, but not without significant pain.
    I haven’t used my dilators in a while and I want to get back into using them. I’m wondering what’s a typical regimen. Should I aim to dilate every day? How long? Do I go with the dilator that I can fit in without pain, or try to stretch myself with a bigger one that’s painful but tolerable?

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi sryan32 – it’s totally a workable strategy to dilate without having done botox! Some people’s vaginismus is less severe and they can get by just through gradually progressing through larger and larger dilators.

Many of the same rules apply whether you’ve had botox or not – dilation works best if you do it EVERY DAY, even if it’s just for a few minutes. You can do as little as 5 or 10, and more time doesn’t necessarily mean more progress. Aim to wiggle the dilators around inside you and insert them and remove them several times per session – that will make more difference than just passively leaving them in for a long time.

When you’re starting off, start with the smallest dilator, even if it seems tiny and easy – that’s a good thing! It can give you confidence as you go, and if it’s no trouble at all, put that one in and then switch it out for a bigger one. The best way to make progress in a session is to start with a dilator you’re comfortable with the size of to get warmed up, then during the same dilation session, switch to the next largest size, even if there’s some discomfort – that’s your muscles stretching!

The consistency of doing it every day is what really allows you to get used to new sizes and make progress over time. Sometimes it’s necessary to take some days off, which is fine, but more likely to cause you to need to work a little harder to get back to where you were when you left off. Setbacks and regressions are a natural part of the process, but you can completely cure vaginismus through dilating depending on your situation, and it’s a great place to start to see how much you can do!

Rglady
    Participant

I was diagnosed with Vaginismus a few days ago and given dilators but I’m really confused on where to start. I’ve been married/sexual active for 3 and a half years. I was able to use tampons, have a gynecological exam and have intercourses, it was just always painful.

I don’t understand how dilators will help me, since I already know they will fit inside me. Do I start with a larger size? Should I still be using the smallest ones for a specific amount of time? My doctor’s instructions weren’t that clear!

Jaclynfich
    Participant

Hi everyone I have quick question (yet again!) I was a bit intimidated by the plastic dilator I revived at my appointment with maze and I’ve been sticking with the silicone but I’ve recently tried the plastic one again and actually really liked the feel of it. Does anyone know the name of them or the website so I can purchase other sizes. Thanks

mazemelissa

Hi Jaclyn,

The dilators are Syracuse Medical Dilators.

Here is a site where you can purchase them:

https://www.cmtmedical.com/product/syracuse-medical-vaginal-dilators/

I do find that once patients get over the hard plastic look of these dilators, many find them really easy to use, as they are very smooth and slide in easily, as well as clean up very nicely.

Melissa

Jaclynfich
    Participant

Yeah once I went back to it I realized it slides in much easier than the silicone and being longer I’m obviously able to go in much deeper. Thanks again!

Rglady
    Participant

How do the Syracuse Medical dilators compare in size to the Pure Romance ones? Is there one that is between the largest 2 pure romance ones, for a more gradual jump?

Lamkas
    Participant

Hi, i wondered if anyone could tell me if pure romance dilators were more skin like or more rubbery (they look shiny and rubbery on the site). Thanks

mazemelissa

Rglady – The large and large plus dilators are both in between the purple and pink dilators in the pure romance set. So if you feel the jump from purple to pink is too great…get the large and large plus in the syracuse medical set and work with those first.

Lamkas – The pure romance dilators in my opinion do not feel like skin, they are smooth, and bendable. They do not have a real skin feel like some dildos on the market.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Lamkas, I have the pure romance dilators and they are in fact rather smooth and rubbery – I found them easier to work with than heard plastic since they’re still somewhat pliable!

Viewing 10 posts - 61 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.