TREATMENT IN THE UK

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General TREATMENT IN THE UK

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sanzk94
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I found this group not long ago and it was so reassuring to know that Vaginismus was something that could be overcome as I feel there is not a lot of awareness here in the UK.
    I wasn’t sexually active before marriage so I wasn’t aware I had Vaginismus until we both tried and were unable to have sex. Each time we tried, I would tense up and get anxious I couldn’t even handle being touched around the vagina (side note I’ve also never tried a tampon) so I booked an appointment with my GP.
    One thing I’m very grateful for is that my GP has great understanding about Vaginismus and was the first to mention it to me and suggested I take up counselling with Relate. I haven’t had any traumatic past experience that could trigger Vaginismus so I knew I needed to research more which is when I stumbled onto this support group and am so happy I did!
    I live in London and and found a post on here that mentioned The Gynae Centre and immediately booked an appointment. Dr Eskander and the nurses are so lovely and kept me at ease through the consultation. I wasn’t able to complete a full exam but was told I was a level 4 and it would help to get a hymenectomy too.
    The procedure went smoothly and came back after two weeks once I had healed from the hymenectomy to start using the dilators. At first I was in tears at the thought of it but Dr Eskander first used a cotton bud to touch around the vagina to let me get used to touch around the area then kept me talking until I didn’t realise that the first dilator was in! I took control and moved the dilator in and out until I was ready for the next one. After one follow up I had gotten through 4 dilators which then became slightly painful so was told to start with 3 until I was comfortable to go up to 4.
    From not being able to handle a finger or an exam to using the fourth dilator I couldn’t believe the difference it has made! I’m still working up to 4 as my appointment was 4 days ago but things are on the up 🙂
    I know this is a slightly different approach to Maze, but this gives those in the UK with Vaginismus an option closer to home and a general overview of how it works! This support group is so amazing and has given me so much hope so thank you! My husband has also been a huge support and it’s made such a difference.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Sanzk94 – thank you so much for sharing your story! I’ve seen a lot of women from the UK post in these forums and it’s so great to hear from someone who had a positive treatment experience. And wow! Working up to the 4th dilator already is amazing, congratulations! I’m also so glad you found a GP who knew about vaginismus – it’s a real testament to the fact that not being believed by medical professionals (as happens to a lot of women with vaginismus) can set a person back YEARS when it comes to seeking treatment. I hope other UK women will see your story and explore the same treatment path!

Hi Sanzk94 – welcome to our forum! And thank you for sharing your story and experience with vaginismus. There is relatively little awareness here in the United States as well. Which is why we love this group! It is SO important to share your experience and the community here will help lift you up when you are having trouble or feeling down about it. We are also so happy when we can celebrate your success! Kudos to you for doing the research and finding someone in the UK who could help you. I encourage you to continue sharing your experiences, both the good and the bad so that we can continue to support you in your journey.
    Jackie

Sanzk94
    Participant

Thank you! It’s been a while so thought I’d come back and update that I successfully inserted dilator 4 with little discomfort! It may take a while before it feels ‘normal’ to have it in but the progress is there 🙂 I did have a few setbacks working up to it though as some days were easier than others but it’s all part of the process and reading success stories on this forum give me so much hope!

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Good job Sanzk94! You’re totally right – what matters is seeing the progress. You will get there in the end!

Sanzk94 – that is great news! Thanks so much for keeping us posted on your terrific progress. And you are absolutely right – this IS a process. Continue to be kind to yourself, and reframe setbacks or off-days as pieces of the progress puzzle (vs. considering them to be negative events that hold you back).

We hope to hear from you again soon – sending all our best, and keep up the great effort!!

Sks823
    Participant

Hi Sanzk94,

This is awesome news! You should be so proud of yourself for making so much progress already. Glad that your GP had an understanding of vaginismus and you were able to find some great resources near you. I know from experience that setbacks will happen and sometimes the process can be slower than you’d like, but with drive and determination you’ll get through it no problem!

Cheers 🙂

hi Sanzk94,
    Just checking in to see how dilation is going, especially during this challenging time.
    Please drop us a note to update us on your progress!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.