Tampon Questions

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

In a recent post, Firenze talks about nervousness about trying tampons. I, too, felt so nervous prior to trying my first tampon post-procedure, but please know that this is such a a common fear and such a tremendous accomplishment in your journey. I KNOW you will have complete and total success with this as well. There are so many wonderful posts about tampon success and also the many different brands used. Of note, are Kotex regular, Tampax Compak (plastic applicator versus the cardboard ones), and Tampax Pearl Lite.

Please also see Karla’s post regarding tampons:

“I would have never guessed this would actually happen! Even after doing fairly well with the dilators and achieving full penile insertion a couple of times, there was still this part of me that wanted nothing to do with inserting a tampon!!! Well, yesterday evening I was able to overcome that fear and insert my very first tampon ever (at age 34!). I was able to insert the tampon just fine (thanks to the work with the dilators) but something about pushing the part inside of me had me thrown for a loop. I was using a really small tampon initially but after inserting it, I found myself having difficulty pushing the actual cotton part inside. I think it was because I’d used a little too much lube and my hands were a bit slippery. So, I took that one out and had to use a regular sized tampon because I didn’t have any more of the small ones. I put lube on the regular size one but made sure to just get it on the applicator part. I was able to insert it fine. I took my time pushing the cotton part inside of me since I had no idea what the feeling would be like. Then came time to remove the applicator. This took a little time as I seemed to have to work it out – kind of turning it as with the dilators. And there it was – nothing but the string hanging out of me! The instructions (yes, I did have to read them lol) said if you didn’t feel anything then you did it correctly and I truly didn’t feel a thing! It still felt strange as I knew something was inside of me but I couldn’t feel it whereas I was used to having dilators inside of me but knew they were there. I left it in for about an hour. Then came the part of removing the tampon. I did kind of get really nervous here because it seemed like it did’t want to come out! I didn’t want to tug too hard so that it didn’t feel sore but couldn’t figure out how to pull it out without that happening. I just continued pulling slowly until I felt it starting to move. Once that happened, it just kind of pulled right on out! I’m so glad that I pushed through and continued on to the end to accomplish this. I hope that this gives someone else encouragement that may be struggling with this…as is usually said (and it is SO true)…if I can do it, anyone can!!”

Furthermore, Ellen has provided much insight on the use of tampons:

“once you are comfortable with inserting the purple and pink dilators without issue and they go in easily, this is a good sign you could try a tampon. Sometimes too light of a flow does make it drier and harder to insert properly. Try tampons on one of your moderate flow days, always use back up of a pad at first and then a panty liner once you are more comfortable with the tampon insertion. Pay close attention to the angle of your insertion… Just like the dilator you need to angle towards your rectum and then in and up. You may also need to try different brands to find the best one for you. Like me for example, I used the same brand for years until I had children then they did not feel comfortable and were not easy to insert. It took several different brands before I found one I could comfortably use. Patience is the key to tampons… It will happen, just don’t force it.”

For the veterans reading this, what further advice do you have regarding tampons that you can share with future patients? What angle works best to insert them? Which brand do you prefer? Do you like the plastic or cardboard applicators? Do you have tips for keeping them in?

PomPom
    Participant

i have been struggling with tampons for 6 years now and yesterday i was able to insert my first tampon (10 days post procedure!!). i am much more comfortable with the sight of a blue dilator then the sight of a light tampon. for this reason, before using a tampon i dilated for about 10 minutes with the purple dilator. for me, this was a mental reassurance that i would have no problem with the size of a light tampon. i put a tiny bit of the surgical lube on the plastic applicator and it slid right in!!!!

Nakitalab
    Participant

Being able to insert a tampon is such a huge accomplishment! I remember my first time being able to insert a tampon. After so many years of trying and hitting “the wall” and then finally just giving up, I just couldn’t believe it. I’m pretty sure I shouted out with joy….LOL. So very happy for you, PomPom!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.