Story of Menopausal Vaginismus

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Menopausal Vaginismus Story of Menopausal Vaginismus

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. One of Dr. Pacik’s patient’s has written an excellent story pertaining to menopausal vaginismus:

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/stories/struggeling-with-vaginismus/

These stories are so, so important and do an invaluable service to other women who may be experiencing the exact same thing right now as I write this. I would encourage you to read this powerful story and welcome your comments.

Elizabeth
    Participant

Thank you for sharing the article about Mary and her struggles with Menopausal Vaginismus. I’m 59 years old and was diagnosed with Secondary Vaginismus and have been in menopause for 4 years. I can relate to many aspects of Mary’s difficult journey, but was able to have pain-free, enjoyable sex with my husband for many years and we have been blessed with two children. I started to have some pain with intercourse in perimenopause. This progressively got more and more painful, until when in full menopause the pain became unbearable and I was eventually diagnosed with Vaginismus. In desperation I went online searching for a solution and came upon Dr. Pacik’s website. I had the botox procedure 90 days ago and am so very happy I did!! The first month of dilating went really well for me and I was able to dilate up to #5 pink glass for at least one hour without any pain. At day 19 post procedure my husband and I tried intercourse and were able to insert only 3″ but that was definitely a good start. At day 25 and after dilating with #5 pink dilator for 2.5 hrs., we tried again and had successful, full penetration. This was painful for me, but less so than the first attempt and I was SO excited and elated! Then at day 32 things started to go downhill. Dr. Pacik and his team often said that the early days post procedure can be a real roller coaster ride and boy were they right. I got a vaginal infection and struggled with it for a month. The lube I had been using started to give me problems, as did every other one I tried until I came upon Pure Coconut Oil. It works wonderfully for me and I’m so happy that I am back on track dilating comfortably as before with the #5 pink. Dr. P. and his team are wonderful and continue to guide me along my path to pain free intercourse. Best wishes to all the women with Menopausal Vaginismus. In sharing our stories we can support and help each other! 🙂

Janet Pacik
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth, Dr. Pacik is writing a blog on menopausal vaginismus for our VaginismusMD website and would like to use your post in his blog. Your name or any information that would link the reader to you personally would not be used. Please contact me via email via the contact us form http://www.vaginismusmd.com/contact/

Heather34
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us and huge CONGRATS on your tremendous success. In your post, you also noted:

“Dr. Pacik and his team often said that the early post procedure can be a real roller coaster ride and boy were they right.”

This is so important for others to read and to know that there may be bumps along the road post-procedure, but it does not mean that you are defeated. In the first few weeks post-procedure and as my body was adjusting to everything, I had plenty of days that I felt like I couldn’t insert the dilators as well as the day before. Whenever this happened, I would back down to either purple or pink for about 2 days and then return to the larger size.

What else has been helpful to you in the immediate days/first months post-procedure that may be helpful to a patient being treated next week???

Elizabeth
    Participant

I am a menopausal, secondary vaginismus patient of Dr. Pacik’s. On day 264 post procedure I succeeded at having pain free intercourse after a struggle for many years, beginning in peri-menopause. My husband and I are elated!!
    For more details, please read my post under “Success Stores (2).”

candi
    Participant

Congratulations Elizabeth!

Nakitalab
    Participant

So very happy for you, Elizabeth!!!

Elizabeth
    Participant

Thank you Candi and Nakitalab and Heather! : )

Elizabeth
    Participant

Thank you for your post on August 13th, Heather. You had asked me “what else has been helpful to you in the immediate days/first months post-procedure…..”
    I think one of the most important things to do is to stay as positive and determined as you can. If you go through some “rough spots” keep going and never give up. Also, that it isn’t a race. We are all individuals and progress with dilation at different rates. If you keep at it, you will succeed! : ) I went through many stages of frustration, but Dr. P., his staff and also the support of the forum members helped me so much. One of my biggest road blocks when I first started dilating was dealing with vaginal infections and reacting to every lube that I tried. If anyone else is having issues with lubes, I found Pure Coconut Oil was the trick for me. I haven’t had a vaginal infection since using it.

Heather34
    Participant
    Quote:
    Quote from Elizabeth on August 27, 2013, 16:42
    Thank you for your post on August 13th, Heather. You had asked me “what else has been helpful to you in the immediate days/first months post-procedure…..”
    I think one of the most important things to do is to stay as positive and determined as you can. If you go through some “rough spots” keep going and never give up. Also, that it isn’t a race. We are all individuals and progress with dilation at different rates. If you keep at it, you will succeed! : ).

This is such a beautiful and inspiring post Elizabeth. What helped you to maintain your positivity and determination through your “rough spots” post-procedure? Also, what advice do you as well as the other veterans have for someone reading this right now who may wonder if they have vaginismus and who may be considering having this treatment program?

Helen Leff, LCSW

Hi,
    Its been a while since this posting on menopausal vaginismus. All these posts have been inspiring.
    Today I saw a menopausal patient with vaginismus who recently got married and is ready for treatment. She also expressed her enthusiasm for the integrated model that we embrace at Maze. No one has to be alone in this endeavor. She was able to dilate with the small plus dilator and is off to a good start. I want to echo what’s already been written that dilation is a process and that treatment is not a race. We are all different, and slow and steady is just fine. Hope, perseverance, self acceptance and support are some key elements in being successful in the treatment of this very treatable condition.

Roger that.

It really isn’t a race and I find that for many patients, feeling that pressure can make treatment not only unpleasant but it can actually hinder things. When we are under pressure we carry that in our bodies, in our muscles, which is not great for vaginismus treatment. Letting go of outcomes, of the schedule we have in our minds of when things should happen, is key– not only in treatment but in life itself!!

Roger that.

It really isn’t a race and I find that for many patients, feeling that pressure can make treatment not only unpleasant but it can actually hinder things. When we are under pressure we carry that in our bodies, in our muscles, which is not great for vaginismus treatment. Letting go of outcomes, of the schedule we have in our minds of when things should happen, is key– not only in treatment but in life itself!!

mazemelissa

Menopausal Vaginismus is one of the more common problems that we see here at Maze, and one that I feel is really easy to treat with the right medications and tools. We now also have the new Mona Lisa Touch laser treatment for women who have menopausal dryness and discomfort and don’t want to use hormones or creams for treatment. For more information on the Mona Lisa Touch laser, please check out the information on our website. //mazewomenshealth.com/painful-sex-vaginal-pain/monalisa-touch/

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.