New Blog: Recurrent Sexual Pain after Botox Treatment

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Post-Procedure New Blog: Recurrent Sexual Pain after Botox Treatment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. There is an excellent new blog written by Dr. Pacik that explores recurrent sexual pain that may occur after the Botox treatment for vaginismus.

Excerpts include:
    “As of April 2012, after treating 170 patients with Botox and progressive dilation under anesthesia for vaginismus, I have one patient who had recurrence of vestibulodynia and one patient who had recurrent vulvodynia. All the other patients who had recurrence of sexual pain simply needed to start dilating again. None of these patients required additional Botox.
    It is not clear how long one needs to dilate after vaginismus treatment with the Botox program. It appears that about one year of some dilation every one to two days and periodically sleeping with a medium dilator will keep vaginismus from recurring.”

This is a great blog as it is such a common question (i.e. how long do I have to dilate for) and such a common fear (i.e. will the pain of vaginismus ever return). I haven’t experienced any pain whatsoever with intercourse or gynecological exams post-procedure. However, it is great to know that if this ever did re-occur, I could start using the dilators again and the pain would dissipate. Have any of you experienced sexual pain well after your procedure? If so, did you find that beginning a dilating regimen again helped you?

Diana
    Participant

Hi Heather,
    I haven’t experienced pain since my botox treatment in September, 2011. However, sometimes I feel tighter than other days. To be safe, I sleep with the pink dilator between 3 -4 times a week. After all, it doesn’t take more than 5 minutes to get it in and once it is in, I can count with 7-8 hours of dilation while I sleep. I’ve found that by doing this, I get the confidence I need to know that everything will be fine going forward. If someone experience any pain after the procedure, I would recommend that you get checked with your OB/GYN to rule out other conditions. (i.e – ovarian cysts, endometriosis…)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.