Exercise with vaginismus

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Exercise with vaginismus

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    nhinds0934
    Participant

Hello! I’m new here, so sorry if I’m not posting to the right place.

I’ve noticed and been told by my P.T. that certain exercises actually make vaginismus worse. I’ve only heard of ab work, but that’s kind of the only form of quick and easy exercise I know how to do. It’s also fairly quiet so I don’t disturb my downstairs neighbors.
    Has anyone else noticed this? What exercises cause vaginismus to flare up for you (if you don’t mind me asking)? What do you do instead?

Heather34
    Participant

Hi nhinds0934. Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your post. While I haven’t experienced this personally, I found some helpful tips from the National Vulvodynia Association’s page regarding exercise which includes:
    “Physical Activities
    • Avoid exercises that put direct pressure on the vulva such as bicycle riding and horseback riding.
    • Limit intense exercises that create a lot of friction in the vulvar area (try lower intensity exercises such as walking).
    • Use a frozen gel pack wrapped in a towel to relieve symptoms after exercise.
    • Enroll in an exercise class such as yoga to learn stretching and relaxation exercises.”
    The NVA is also a member of this Forum and I would love any further thoughts that they may have here as well as others who may have helpful tips. Sending you hugs and support today!

AshDee
    Participant

I’ve noticed this, it’s a frustrating problem. I want to work on my core to reduce my back pain, but I can’t do much with vaginismus right now. I’ve found that any exercise that works muscles connected to the pelvic floor gives me flare ups. Working my glutes, core, hips or back will tighten my pelvic floor on me. I’ve been doing modified versions of basic moves (like planks on my knees instead of the usual), and doing fewer reps. I also walk on a regular basis rather than do intense cardio. Sometimes I ride my bike, I bought a special women’s bike seat with a cutout for your vulva. You can find them online, Amazon has some. Basically, just go slow and do lots of stretching after exercise. Make sure you take time to dilate or do self internal trigger point release (or both!!) after as well. Ice packs and/or epsom salt baths are also helpful 🙂

I’m glad you brought up this question, nhinds0934. Many people don’t realize the various factors that can affect vaginismus, with exercise being one of them…it’s about being creative and finding what works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.