Dysorgasmia

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Heather34
    Participant

Hi ladies. There have been several very educational and helpful threads about conditions that often co-occur with vaginismus (i.e. low libido, anorgasmia, etc.). I recently came across an article that also discussed patients who have pelvic pain solely with orgasm – dysorgasmia. For the to-be-treated and treated patients, has this ever occurred for you? If so, what treatments have you tried to decrease your pain with orgasm?

StaBla
    Participant

Hello and thanks for opening up a dialogue about a subject that is not easy to find information about. Even this post is nearly 6 years old!

I do suffer from what I believe is dysorgasmia and have been for the past 3 years or so. Up until then, I never had pain when reaching orgasm and then it began intermittently. Now it sometimes happens when I just get very excited, even before orgasm is reached.

It is a horrible, debilitating pain that takes my breath away. Although it usually doesn’t last long (from a few minutes to over an hour), it can stop me in my tracks. The pain is always located in my right pelvis, under my stomach and deep inside. My gynecologist has performed vaginal sonograms and sent me for a pelvic CT scan and nothing has been found. He has also recommended a Gastroenterology doctor who prescribed Levsin to take before, in the hopes that it will reduce the pain. It has not seemed to work consistently.

Does anyone have any ideas or know if this will ever go away? I have been reading that this condition seems to often be associated with menopause and this probably started when I began peri-menopause. I just want to enjoy what should be a wonderful feeling of release again.

Thanks,
    Stacy

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Stacy, and welcome to the forums! I’m so sorry to hear about your sexual pain issues – I am glad you took the initiative to find this older post since we haven’t talked about this on the forums in awhile. I will defer to the Maze doctors on your symptoms themselves, but I think it’s great that you are seeking help and answers because that is a sign that you are ready to do something about the problem! I dealt with vaginismus for a long time and I couldn’t have gone through with treatment if not for places like this that were repositories for knowledge and support. I am rooting for you and hope that you find some answers soon!

Hi Stabla – I just wanted to check in and see how it has been going. Have you had any luck finding the source of your pain with orgasm? During orgasm, all of the pelvic floor muscles tighten and contract. It is possible that you are having an intense spasm of those muscles during the orgasm. Have you ever looked into pelvic floor physical therapy? Keep us posted on how you have been!
    All the best,
    Jackie

Helen Leff, LCSW

Hi StaBla,
    I’ve been thinking about you as I recently spoke with someone who is experiencing something similar to you. She has found that Vaginal Valium is helpful as well as dilation. Somatic work can be useful to help bring anxiety down because generally when there’s pain there’s going to be anxiety around the pain….Let us know how you are doing.
    Take care,
    Helen

Helen Leff, LCSW

Hi StaBla,
    I’ve been thinking about you as I recently spoke with someone who is experiencing something similar to you. She has found that Vaginal Valium is helpful as well as dilation. Somatic work can be useful to help bring anxiety down because generally when there’s pain there’s going to be anxiety around the pain….Let us know how you are doing.
    Take care,
    Helen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.