Dilating at home

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating Dilating at home

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Annie
    Participant

Hi everyone,
    I’m new here and have been exploring all the possible causes for painful/impossible penetration. I’m not looking to do anything drastic yet as I’ve only recently discovered my problem.

My first step was buying myself a set of plastic dilators. I was nervous to try them as my GYN doc couldn’t even insert part of her finger. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the first two sizes could be inserted rather easily. It was only mildly painful and taking it out hurt more than putting it on. The first size was about the size of a woman’s finger. The next one up was maybe double that size. The first one fit very easily and didn’t hurt. The second one involved some minor discomfort and pain. Nothing unbearable. It was rather painful to take it out after leaving it in for 5 minutes but I was able to.

What does this mean? If I had true vaginismus, wouldn’t inserting dilators be really difficult?

Thanks!

arose
    Participant

Hi Annie,

there are varying degrees of Vaginismus – some people have it mildly, and can have penetration with some pain, and others have it severely and find any form of penetration impossible. Dr Pacik talks about the Lamont Levels (there are 5 different levels, he added the last) – if you look this up it may help you to determine whether or not you have vaginismus. Dr Pacik’s patients tend to have vag more severely, where the more standard dilation therapy has not been enough. However, many patients do manage to overcome the problem just with the dilators if it is not so severe. Perhaps you could email him about this?

Good luck in overcoming your problems!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.