Botox procedure and dilating

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Daily Questions About Vaginismus Botox procedure and dilating

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cindy123
    Participant

Hi all 🙂

I had my Botox procedure done on 9 March. I’ve understand that patients wake up with the biggest dilator inside of them (pure romance blue). But I only woke up with a mid sized dilator (soul source orange) which I believe is a pure romance purple equivalent. Anyways, it’s going to be a month since I had my procedure, and I’m still stuck with the mid sized dilator. It’s extremely painful to dilate and even getting more painful and difficult to dilate every passing day. I’m wondering if my vagina wasn’t dilated enough since the doctor never put in the biggest dilator in me. Also, is it normal for dilating to be so terribly painful? Really desperate for a cure. I don’t know what else to do 🙁

Thanks!

mazemelissa

Hi Cindy,

We always ensure that we can insert the largest dilator in the pure romance series under anesthesia, and sometimes that means making small incisions in the hymen tissue surrounding the vaginal opening to ensure the dilator will fit.

Many women with vaginismus that we see for the procedure, have never had any penetration, or very little, so they have have an intact hymen at the vaginal entrance.

If we don’t cut this tissue, the dilators would need to tear the tissue as they are inserted in order to fit, and that can be very painful.

It’s possible that is what you are feeling as you are trying to insert up to the largest size dilator. Maybe you still have an intact or partially intact hymenal ring, and that needs to be opened up larger.

I would also consider seeing a Physical therapist, who might be able to help you push past the medium dilators to the larger dilators. The Botox is working at its max effect right now, so the muscles should be nice and soft.

Hope this helps,

Melissa

Cindy123
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Melissa. I’ve been dilating almost 3-4 hours everyday but it’s still excruciatingly painful to proceed upto the bigger dilators. The doctor didn’t make any incisions in my hymen and only inserted a mid-sized dilator. Infact dilating is getting more and more painful as I try to move up to bigger ones. If I can’t make any progress by August then I’d like to come get the treatment at maze. I live in Singapore.

Sks823
    Participant

Cindy123,

Congrats on getting botox and being consistent and diligent with your dilating 🙂

I think it is normal to feel some pain when dilating, especially when moving up to a bigger size, but not 100% sure about *excruciating* pain. The fact that you got the surgery around a month ago and haven’t made much progress with the dilators doesn’t sound like a huge red flag; sometimes I’d go 3-4 weeks before moving up to the next size. I went to a physical therapist at Maze like Melissa suggested – she pushed me to get to the next size each time I had an appointment (sometimes 3-4 weeks between appointments). Having her help me put it in (albeit painful) and then letting me do it myself gave me the courage & knowledge that I could put it in myself at home. Don’t get discouraged even though you’re not moving as quickly through the dilators as you’d like! I went at a slow and steady pace with the dilators and it worked for me.

Watching TV while dilating helped me relax a bit and not solely concentrate on the dilating/pain. When I moved up in dilator size and had discomfort, I would do deep breathing exercises and insert it for the first time veeeeeeeeeery slowly, which caused little to no discomfort. Once I got it in (and moved it side-to-side and up and down), it was much easier for me to take it out and re-insert it at a faster pace. Inserting and re-inserting the dilators a few times definitely helps get used to the feeling (in my opinion more useful than just leaving it in for a while).

Also, I’ve tried a couple different lubricants and I like coconut oil the best. Don’t forget to use as much lubricant as you need!

I’m sorry to hear about your pain and trouble moving up in dilator size, but I’m very optimistic that with some more trying & patience you can get through this hurdle!

Good luck & keep us updated!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.