At a loss

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Klasalvia
    Participant

Hi, I’m a long term (I don’t want to say sufferer) case of what I believed was microimperforation of the hymen. This is what I was told 5 years ago, I’m 20 now, by a gynecologist and offered a hymenectomy to “cure” it. However, I put off the surgery out of fear for several years and it wasn’t until recently when I moved to NYC that I finally sought it out and decided to have it done. After a consulatation with a new doctor here in the city, my previous doctor’s diagnosis was challenged. I don’t indeed have a microimperforated hymen, the opening is just smaller than usual (not small enough for the original diagnosis). It could’ve possibly been enlarged from years of heavy periods, but nonetheless this change in diagnosis lead to some serious mental exhaustion and emotional whiplash. I was so prepared to have this surgery done, but was redirected towards dilating. In fact it was so mentally jarring I nearly fainted in the examination room. It’s taking a lot of mental strain to push myself into doing something I associate so much with pain and trauma from having to silence myself on my condition for years. I really don’t know how to overcome this fear and I ultimately feel stuck in my own body. I don’t know if this is issue with my hymen is working in conjunction with vaginismus due to the pain I experienced under previous examinations and the frightening idea of having to essentially examine myself. If there’s any advice you have on how to finally lift this weight off my shoulders I’d be eternally grateful. If anything, it’s relieving to no longer feel alone.

Hi Klasalvia,

Thanks so much for your post. It can be awfully unsettling to build up your courage for one diagnosis/procedure, only to have it be challenged by another provider. Unfortunately, anxiety can be an unwanted though common companion on a medical journey. Working with a therapist to express your feelings, practicing mindfulness and breathing exercises – these are just some of the techniques we suggest you employ to help you along the way.

Trust, communication, and respect are key in your relationship with your care provider. Without these qualities, overcoming your fears will be even more of a struggle.

If you are contemplating the idea of seeking further information, please feel free to call us for a free 10-minute consult. No matter what you decide, I wish you all our best!

Hi Klasalvia,

Thanks so much for your post. It can be awfully unsettling to build up your courage for one diagnosis/procedure, only to have it be challenged by another provider. Unfortunately, anxiety can be an unwanted though common companion on a medical journey. Working with a therapist to express your feelings, practicing mindfulness and breathing exercises – these are just some of the techniques we suggest you employ to help you along the way.

Trust, communication, and respect are key in your relationship with your care provider. Without these qualities, overcoming your fears will be even more of a struggle.

If you are contemplating the idea of seeking further information, please feel free to call us for a free 10-minute consult. No matter what you decide, I wish you all our best!

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Hi Klasalvia,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.