What to do when dilators are not available in your country?

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus Dilating What to do when dilators are not available in your country?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Persevere
    Participant

Hello Everyone!
    I am writing this post for all those women who have no access to dilators in their country. In some countries like Pakistan etc., dilators are not available. You can buy dilators on Amazon but it is not available in some countries. Moreover, if you buy dilators through some other website, the shipping charges would be so high that you won’t be able to afford them. So if you are struggling with this issue and feel utterly hopeless, do not give up. What you can do is to use some household objects like cosmetic bottles etc. as dilators (but remember hygeine is very important). For those who are just starting, let me tell you that I could not even insert one finger without pain so I took a mascara bottle of mine which was round and very thin and used it as my first dilator. It may sound weird to many people but remember that there is no shame in curing yourself. If you want to get cured, you have to take some measures. So after using some thin object, find other objects that are a little bigger in size and move progressively. However, you should always keep your dilators clean because you don’t want to get an infection. I used to wash mine before and after dilating with lukewarm water and antibacterial soap. The journey will be tough but it is not impossible. I have done it before you and got cured in 5 months so can you. I went from inserting one finger with burning pain to normal intercourse in 5 months.

You can also read my journey in the “Difficulty Dilating” post to see how tough it was for me but how with the incredible support of this forum, I was finally cured. 🙂

Some other helpful tips already mentioned in this forum:
    1. Use Lidocaine in the first few months of dilation to reduce pain.
    2. Take deep breaths to reduce anxiety during dilation.
    3. Do reverse kegel exercises during dilation.
    4. Listen your body. Don’t force or push it.

If there are any mistakes in this post, experts and moderators are most welcome to correct it. 🙂

Good Luck Vaginismus Fighters! You can do it!

Persevere
    Participant

P.s. please tell me how do I get notified for the posts in this forum or the replies to my posts? I always check “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” box but never get an email. 🙂

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Persevere, thanks so much for sharing your story and what worked for you! It’s so disappointing that dilators aren’t more widely available to the women who need them in countries like Pakistan when they should really be considered a medical tool and available. But you make such a great point – at root, the concept is in using increasingly large objects to stretch your muscles and become increasingly comfortable with penetration. A person could start with something as small as a Q-tip if they weren’t able to get dilators, and I’m so glad you were able to find a method of success that could work for other women as well. How often did you have to work with each object before moving up to the next size? Did you ever struggle to find the right in-between size?

Persevere
    Participant

Hi recessivegenequeen,

Overall it took me 5 months to finally be able to have intercourse. I used to dilate everyday except during periods. It took pretty much time and struggle to move up to the next size. Usually it took 3 to 4 weeks before I was comfortable to move on to next size. At times, it felt I won’t be able to move forward but eventually it happened thanks to the advice from this forum.

And yes I did struggle to find the right in-between size especially for large size dilators but the key to this problem was to not jump to really big sizes rather

Persevere
    Participant

Hi recessivegenequeen,

Overall it took me 5 months to finally be able to have intercourse. I used to dilate everyday except during periods. It took pretty much time and struggle to move up to the next size. Usually it took 3 to 4 weeks before I was comfortable to move on to next size. At times, it felt I won’t be able to move forward but eventually it happened thanks to the advice from this forum.

And yes I did struggle to find the right in-between size especially for large size dilators but the key to this problem was to not jump to really big sizes rather move slowly. Always listen to your body. Don’t rush the treatment. Remember even a smalls step towards your goal counts.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Persevere, thanks so much for sharing your perspective! I am so impressed you were able to manage this process on your own and push through the moments of difficulty. I hope you are having a great sex life and that your methods can be repeated by others who struggle to acquire dilators in their countries. Wishing you all the best!

Persevere
    Participant

Thank you 🙂 This forum has been amazing throughout my journey and afterwards as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.