vulvar vestibulitis treatment

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Sexual Pain That May Not Be Vaginismus vulvar vestibulitis treatment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bilgici
    Participant

I’ve diagnosed with vulvar vestibulitis and was informed with the laser and PRP treatments. I know surgery is another option but i have huge concerns about it related it with post surgery pains and the overall appearance of it afterwards. What is the best solution here cause im affected psychologically as well and slowly developing to be lose my interest in sex at all.

mazemelissa

Vulvar vestibulitis, vulvodynia, vestibulodynia can have several different causes. Most frequent stem from pelvic floor dysfunction, hormonal changes in the tissue, or hypersensitive nerves. Knowing the origin of the pain is very important for proper treatment.

I think if you are considering a surgical option, you might have neuroproliferative vestibulodynia, which is where the nerve ending surrounding the vaginal entrance are hypersensitive and any penetration will cause pain.

When more traditional treatments like oral medications, topicals, laser, PRP are not helping, surgical intervention is a good option.

Vestibulectomy, which is the surgery that I believe you are referencing, will remove that small ring of tissue from the vaginal entrance, and remove the hypersensitive nerves, which will improve penetration pain.

Many women try to avoid the surgery, as it is a painful procedure, and recovery can take 6-8 weeks.

However, it is very effective. And I have seen several women post vestibulectomy surgery, and the appearance is normal. And the pain is significantly improved, if not totally resolved.

recessivegenequeen
    Participant

Hi Bilgici! I have a friend who was suffering from pain for MANY years without getting the proper diagnosis who got a vestibulectomy and is really glad she did. She tried countless other options but nothing else had any effect for her, so it was just the option she needed to reach and she’s really glad she did it, even despite the surgery recovery time of 6 weeks or so. It’s definitely worth exploring the different options open to you because it could have the potential to remove the pain for the rest of your life. Interested to hear how this goes for you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.