Vaginismus/hypertonic pelvic floor and IBS-C

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Vaginismus/hypertonic pelvic floor and IBS-C

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Lulu1802
    Participant

Hi all. I have a hypertonic pelvic floor (which causes my vaginismus) and I also have IBS-C, I have done pelvic floor therapy and am doing well with dilators, but my IBS-C is causing my progress to decline significantly. I do not know how to go about this, and my PCP was no help. Does anyone else struggle with the two? Hypertonic pelvic floor and IBS-C both effect each other and progressing with one is difficult enough.

mazemelissa

Hi Lulu1802,

I do see patients complain of both constipation and vaginismus secondary to pelvic floor hypertonicity.

The muscles of the pelvic floor support many organs and structures. So when they are chronically tense, we can see bowel, bladder and gynecological issues.

If you haven’t tried physical therapy, I would strongly recommend that you seek out a pelvic floor PT to help you.

Diazepam suppositories might also be helpful.

There is an online program called PelvicSense that is created by a PT that is also really great.

Melissa

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.