Treating yeast infections

Find support and treatment options from participants and Maze Women’s Health staff.

Home Forums Vaginismus Support Group Vaginismus General Treating yeast infections

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Timid27
    Participant

Hello – I have suffered from vaginismus for a very long time and only learned what it was called a few days ago! I have downloaded books and started subscribing to this forum for help.

I am experiencing vaginal pain and suspect it might be from a yeast infection – I just finished a course of antibiotics. I had to do the vaginal swab myself because I freaked out when the female doctor tried to do it.

She recommended inserting a Canesten tablet (sigh) and I doubt I will be able to insert it far enough to do any good. I was thinking I might have more success with the cream, but really nothing appeals to me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Heather34
    Participant

Hi timid27. Welcome to the Forum and thank you for your post. I am so, so sorry that you are struggling with vaginismus and I am so happy you have found Dr. Pacik and this forum. Please know we are all here to support you. I found information from Vaginismus.com with a link to two resources:

“Vaginal Yeast Infection

Resources and links for vaginal yeast infections

Vaginal yeast infections are characterized by severe itching, vaginal discharge, soreness or irritation, burning sensation, and pain during sexual intercourse.

Like other pain causing conditions, vaginal yeast infections may cause or contribute to problems with vaginismus and/or may coexist with vaginismus on an ongoing basis. As a result, women may need to address both conditions before they are able to fully restore pain-free intercourse.

Helpful resources:

1.”Vaginal Yeast Infections” – Women’s Health Government

http://www.4woman.gov/faq/yeastinfect.htm

2.”Yeast Infections” – Medline Plus

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/yeastinfections.html”

I also wanted to share an excellent Newsletter from Dr. Pacik to view in the future regarding All Things Dilating

http://www.vaginismusmd.com/vaginismus-resources/vaginismus-newsletter-archive/ins-outs-vaginal-dilation/#sthash.SdOiak5S.dpuf

This is an excellent resource and includes important information on the ins and outs of vaginal dilation. Specific topics include: Styles and Materials of Dilators, Getting Started with Dilation, Anxiety Control, Advanced Dilation Techniques, and Transitioning to Intercourse.

Please, again, know that we are all here for you! Sending hugs and support!

Ladies, please share any further specific things that may have helped you if you have experienced this.

Dr. Pacik
    Participant

75% of women can expect to have at least one yeast infection during their lifetime. It is common to have a yeast infection after treatment with antibiotics.
    DIFLUCAN® (fluconazole) by prescription often eliminates yeast with just one pill taken by mouth. It is more effective than over the counter Monistat cream.
    Often self diagnosis can be made from the following symptoms:

• Itching in the vaginal area and around the vulva (the opening of the vagina)
    • Burning in the vaginal area
    • Swelling of the vulva
    • White/gray vaginal discharge that may be thick (sometimes described as looking like cottage cheese)
    • Burning during urination
    • Pain with sexual intercourse

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.